Square tank???

jjboods

I am considering building my next tank. I only have 4 feet to work with between the wall and fireplace. Has anyone seen/built a square tank or more square than usual tank?? I am think either 4x4x2 or 4x3x2. Is it possible? What would be the potential problems?

gregzbobo

I've seen a 60 gallon tank that was a cube, 2 feet on each side. I am assuming you mean 4 feet wide, 4 feet deep, and 2 feet high? If thats the case, you will have to reach through 3 feet of water to reach the bottom rear. Sort of a stretch, but I guess it would work. Now if you mean 4 wide, 2 deep, and 4 high, thats WAY tall. You'd have to use thicker glass than usual to take the pressure. Surface area would be in awful short supply also, which would cut into surface gas exchange.

S

sebae0

i worked at a store and we had a tank that was 4x4x3 and it was acrylic with a top that had opening to get in the tank. was a very nice tank and it did pose a problem when trying to reach very back corners. if your gonna do it i would go with acrylic.

jjboods

4 feet long, 3 or 4 feet wide, 20 or 24 inches deep. I really want to give my fish more swimming room, maybe add a few more Bannerfish to school with the one I have. But, I only have 4 feet one way so I figured I'd need to come out 3 or 4. And yes, you would be able to see 2 sides very well. As for cleaning...only the 2 viewing sides with a magfloat. I don't think I'd use acrylic...too easy to scratch.

j21kickster

i was about to buy a square tank the other day- unique and cool looking- then someone came in to buy it before i did- but there wouldnt be any additional problems

jjboods

Nolo,
That's what I was thinking...especially because now I am running with the joists instead of across them.

jjboods

I do have a basement, but finished in that half of the house. How much does 150 gallons of water weigh?

jjboods

I think I will only go to 20 inches high. No canopy, my lights hang from the ceiling. Overall...how much total would you guess? And doesn't the sand weight displace the water that it replaces?

melbournefl

I've never seen it but then again, I've never really looked so I guess anything's possible! One way you might save some money is to go with a tank that is plywood on three sides and the bottom, then you're only looking at one sheet of 1/2" glass for the front. The tank itself could be built for less the $250 I'd guess. If you're interested in this approach, there are plans for a 140 grow out tank at www.garf.org that you could use as a starting point for your design. I'm in the final phases of construction on my 220 tank right now and that's where I read about building the wood tank. Another good reference for the construction of a lot of DIY tanks and equipment is Simplified Reefkeeping www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com.
Hope this helps,
Paul