Squidd...a couple sump questions

fish_guy5

Hey Squidd. I’m planning a new tank setup (125G Long 72 x 18 x 24H) and could use you opinion on a couple things regarding sump/fuge. I have read a bunch of other threads that you posted on, so I think I have the idea, but just wanted to confirm it. I’ll post a pic of the setup I’m thinking of(basically the same setup I’ve seen you suggest on another thread)
Dual overflows in corners(1”).
Sump/fuge 60” x 13” x 20”H
Return Pump: Mag 18
Powerheads: 3 - Marineland Penguin 1140 (300GPH)
I am planning keeping a few corals(undecided on exactly what kind…I’m new to corals) and fish. Should this flow rate 2700 GPH/125 = 21.6 be sufficient for whatever I choose?
Will there be adequate flow coming from the tank? Or should I go to dual 1.5”?
Was thinking of the Kent Nautilus TE Skimmer with a Mag 7 pump. Would you recommend something different?
Also, do you think the following setup would work?
Running my XP3 canister filter out of the return chamber and have the flow from that going back to the main tank(rated at 650 GPH), and then also put a mag 12 in the return chamber (instead of the mag 18) and have that as a return to the tank as well. This will provide 1850 from the return chamber and 900 from the powerheads. What do you think?
Thanks for any help/advice.

squidd

Just went over this quickly, but all looks good except for the last part...
The Rena might do 350 on a good day and more like 200 if you put much of anything in for media bags, pads, filters, sponges etc...
They do even less if you try to pump up hill..
Run with the 18 to the tank and use the canister either "in sump" or "in tank" for chemical reaction/flow only...
(I run a XP-3 on my 210 aggressive for phosphate removal and flow to my UV... C/L and Sump flow totally seperate..)