Squidd or anyone please help

teresaq

I just got my tank plumbed, and was testing it. Everything is running fine, except when i unplg the pump. I drilled holes in my drain pipe, but the fuge still fills up

teresaq

well i think we figured it out. it was back siphoning. I had to leave one side of my retun right at the surface of the water. should i have added anything to stop this.

squidd

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
well i think we figured it out. it was back siphoning. I had to leave on side of my retun right at the surface of the water. should i have added anything to stop this.
That's the whole purpose of the anti siphon hole which you said you had drilled in your first post...
Do you have more than one return...?

teresaq

each side has two pipes. one is bigger and drains into the sump. I drilled that one. the other is smaller and returns fromm the pump. that one had a dual fitting on the end that water shoots out of back into the tank from the pump.. that one is not drilled. it was back siphoning down the pipes from the pump. I drilled the pipes that goes to the sump.

dude23455

Home Depot has one way valves that only allow water to flow thru them in one direction. I had the same problem on my pump return line and This fixed it.

brucewrs

It is suppose to fill up.Just make sure your return lines are not to deep in the water.Mine fills up a little more than 3/4's when the power goes out..Everyone should shut the power off and check there sump. Thats the number 1 reason for floods. Most of the time it is just the return lines are too deep.

bang guy

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
I drilled the pipes that goes to the sump.
You drilled the wrong pipes. When you drill the return pipes remember that water is going to squirt out the hole when it's running.
You can drill them just under the water line. If they come up through your overflows then you can drill them in the overflow so the squirting water just goes into the overflow.
Small holes but big enough so you can clean them out once a week or so.
Anti-siphon valves fail unless you clean them often.