Squids as a pet?

D

deadly_legend

I dont have one, but i was wondering if it was possible to keep one as a pet. I think that would be really interesting to have, but thats just me. So if you've heard of it let me know :D id like to check it out

squids unlike their cousin the octopus are free swiming creatures that dont ever stop moving, I also have entertained the idea of keeping a squid as a pet i went so far as setting up a tank and trying to catch one down at the docks. i never was able to catch one, but i have heard that they will inevitably die if kept in an aquarium.
interestingly enough, when i was younger i was playing in some seaweed that washed up on the beach, in the bottom root part hiding in the thick roots of the seaweed i found a small black squid about the size of a C battery. I dug a hole in the sand and filled it with seawater to make a small pool and put him in there. he swam around until i needed to go home then i returned it back to the ocean. i never again have been able to find a squid like that but, i would bet if you were going to keep one in an aquarium, that one would be the best kind of squid to keep. i see from your tag you are in indiana quite a ways from the ocean so i guess you dont have the chance to go check the seaweed roots.

texasmetal

If you had a ginormous tank, several dozen thousand gallons, you could probably keep a few of the smaller species. They jet around really fast, bust into stuff, no room to move in a conventional home aquarium.