Squirrel fish in reef

retired

I've been doing pretty good with corals, but I need some fish in my tank. 120 gallon with 20 gal refugium and 15 gallon sump. I have a unicorn tang, mimic tang, pseudocromis, 2 clowns, coral banded shrimp, leathers, mushrooms, poyps, bubble,and some sps. All levels are fine. Local Sfs sold me the squirrel and he is in isolation. When I came home I checked and the opinions seems to be not in a reef. I called and he told me to watch the squirrel. I don't know how to do that at night when he is active. Has anyone else put a big eyed soldierfish in a reef and had success, I know the lfs is going to give me a problem with it.

spiderwoman

As far as I can tell it's coral safe but not necessarily invert safe. Also you should not have any fish in the tank that are small enough to fit into his mouth. He hunts in the night and is very fast.

retired

If he is not invert safe does that mean he'll eat my coral banded shrimp. SF say to monitor with inverts- what does that mean. Th lsf store told me to watch him- once I put him in I'll never get him out.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by retired
http:///forum/post/2827471
If he is not invert safe does that mean he'll eat my coral banded shrimp. SF say to monitor with inverts- what does that mean. Th lsf store told me to watch him- once I put him in I'll never get him out.
Yep, if he gets a chance, he will eat all of your inverts. He has a very large mouth compared to the rest of his body.