st. thomas fish

vsecret

hi! So i have had my saltwater tank up for almost a year now- eveything's going great! Well I am going to St. Thomas in 19 days and I am doing a lot of snorkeling, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book I could bring to identify the fish that I see!

spanko

Nice little pocket type book.
A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species

rdub62

Assuming you will be going to the Coral Reef National Monument I would guess just any detailed Caribbean fish/coral guide would be fine.
As far as I know that is where the majority of the common hobby fish come from.
Anglers, Angels, Puffers, Triggers, Hogfish, Gobbies, Groupers, Sea turtles, Eels, Cuttlefish or Squid, Jacks, Blennies, Wrasses...and that's just off the top of my head.
Hope you have a great time!
and take lots of pics if you can!

ophiura

The above book is one of the standards for sure. Sadly the Marine fishes book is fantabulous for the hobby (a must have) but mostly Pacific fish.

ophiura

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3176410
that looks like a great book! I might have to invest in a couple :)
That series also has a coral id, reef creature id and a fish behavior book. They are gorgeous, in my opinion, but reflect a real investment in a book (I think they are around $40 new.
If you don't want to know a lot of details, you can also just invest in a waterproof card that you take in the water with you. It typically has a drawing of the more common fish you may encounter, and most dive stores will have them.
Most online dive stores (google scuba gear) or similar will have them also.
When I taught a fish course in the Bahamas, this was a basic book used, but it is mostly line drawings. Nonetheless, cheaper than the Paul Humann book.

The card that is meant to go in the water looks like this (though double sided):