Stablizing Ph

infinsable

Before I started dosing Kalk my ph would climb no higher than 7.8 After a night of dosing it will rise to 8.2 max, All my other levels are in check and are on the high range of the scale.I just switched to VHOs from Halides. My question is ;Is there something else I should be checking, what would make the Ph so low? Thanks for any info on this

bang guy

Do you have a skimmer? Have you tried opening a window for a few hours and then testing.
What's the reading at the end of the lighting period?

nm reef

A normal PH range for my system is from 7.9 early in the AM to around 8.2 early evening. I drip kalk 24/7 and run a 70-80 gal slow flow gravity return refugium that is on a 24/7 light schedule. I've always been of the opinion that a normal daily range for PH would be somewhere in the 7.8-8.2 range.
I'm also curious what a open window would do? That was like a curve ball when you're looking for a fast ball!!!
NMREEF website
“Whiskey for my men...beer for my horses.”
nmreef@cox.net

fda483

I have a similar situation. My tank all winter (heating) and now again in the summer (Central AC) has a Ph around 7.8 during the days with the lights on. Both Alk and Ca are right on (alk = 4.0 Ca = 420). But in the spring without heating or AC and the windows open it is in the range of 8.0 - 8.2. The only thing I can come up to is a higher CO2 level in the room when the windows are closed. I am now starting to open the room windows at night to get some more air exchange. Too early to tell if it has any effect.

bang guy

Opening a window is exactly what FDA stated... our houses these days are so energy efficient that CO2 can build up in the room and that can inhibit gas exchange, especially for smokers. I've seen opening a window have dramatic immediate effect.