Stacking LR

tervman

This question may have been asked and answered before, but, when you stack your LR, do you prop it against the back or side glass for support? Some of the LR stacks I have seen, in member photos, are quite large. I can't imagine they would stay that way if they did not touch the glass, in some way, for support.
If you DON'T use the glass for support, how do you get the stacks so high, and keep them from falling over? :eek:

T

tizzo

You can use aquarium safe adhesive. I'm not sure if it's glue, silicone, or both. But personally, I put my largest rocks on the bottum, the next to largest on top of those, and the rest I just stuck them into any nook or cranny they would fit into. But after I placed it I would somewhat wiggle it, to make sure it was secure.

jreinan

Ok another question about live rock. Assuming you already have say 44# of live rock and are adding another 25# and you have a cleanup crew how can you aquascape the rock and avoid crushing any of your new cleaning buddies??

frozenice

I just did that yesterday in my 29 gallon. I just took out all the rocks. All the inverts. left just the fish and the sand. Gave the sand a good cleaning and re aquascaped the tank. Threw back in the inverts and everything looked great, not to mention they got right back to work.

belothsurf

Originally posted by jreinan
Ok another question about live rock. Assuming you already have say 44# of live rock and are adding another 25# and you have a cleanup crew how can you aquascape the rock and avoid crushing any of your new cleaning buddies??

To quote Elmer, "be veewwy, veewwy careful". Also, I have lr stacked up against the side of my tank, and so far after 7 months, no cracks. The majority of the weight is still supported by the bottom.

cptn howdy

don't use the glass for support. first off, it prevents ideal waterflow and tends to create areas where algae can build up. 2nd, it's gonna be a pain to clean the glass mag-float stylee.
i dunno man. i never have a problem stacking. it's like puttin together a puzzle. you just gotta get the right fit. once it fits well then kinda shake it a lil with yer hand still holding the piece to make sure that you really do have a tight fit. IMO adhesives are only necessary with corals at times.