Stand for my new 120 Gallon. Lots of pics !!

jeff s.

This was not a difficult stand, and done fairly cheap. I was real lucky and purchased the doors from a cabinet company for next to nothing. Other then that, the rest was just done by myself, with a little help from my father. I am not finished, but would like to share what it is as of now. I still need to sand and stain the lid and put several coats of urithane on the entire cabinet. A few modifications were done along the way, but for most part, it was built as we went.
I have about $165 into the canopy and stand. I could have done it cheaper, if I used oak plywood rather then buying the 1x4 peices for some parts. Also, having to do both sides costs a bit more rather then a stand that goes against the wall.
Hope to have it all done by Tuesday and ready to fill up next week. Sorry folks, its going to be a cichlid tank.
Jeff
EDIT:
Sorry for all the pictures. If anyone wants any tips or to ask anything, I be more then happy to help out best I can. Both sides of the cabinet look the same, so 4 doors on back side as well.
Enjoy.

scsinet

I consider myself pretty good at building stands, but I LOVE the open center section! I'd have never thought of that. Good work!

jeff s.

The center shelf idea was actually the wifes. The orginal plan was to have a divider running vertical in the center of it. Making it two colums. It was just to narrow at that point. I have a shelf now for the center, have to drill some holes and put the pegs in. As for the stain, it was a sherwin williams stain. It came from Merilatt. The same company who made the doors. Merilatt is a cabinet factory here in Michigan. A large company who has been around years, and their stuff is used nationwide. On Saturdays, they open the factory and sell damaged stuff, odds and ends, discontinued and what ever else. I actuallt built the cabinet around the doors. The doors were I kid you not a whopping $2 each. Anyone who has done a cabinet like this before will tell you, "you cant build the doors that cheap"
I lucked out, the color was on them so I had to use that color. Again, I was left building the cabinet around the doors. I am puting my 4-5 coats of clear on today, and hope to have the tank settled back into its final resting place tomorrow.
Thanks for the kind words, I am tickled pink on how well my first real furniture peice turned out. My father has built a couple entertainment center units and buffets. My brother inlaw also and each time I am amazed on how little money goes into them and nice they turn out. Much nicer then anything you will buy at a common furniture store, and ten times the quality.
Here is a tank my dad has. He built the cabinet a few years ago. It is 90 gallons. I am actually making room in my house for the unit. He doesnt want to keep up a tank no more, and wants a new piece for the wall.
Jeff

susieq

That stand is beautiful. The doors match perfectly. You make it look easy. I'm sure it's not.

jeff s.

Originally Posted by NYFISHERMAN
Sweet, looks oustanding. Total time and money for the stand, tank, and canopy??
Total money was about $165 for both. Time spent.... The stand was about 5 hours working at my fathers pace, and the lid was about 4 hours working at his pace. With that I mean, oh I need oreos and milk, take a break.
My dad lives about 90 miles from me, he drove up twice. He was here early in the morninge ach time, and we were done in mid afternoon. Taking breaks to eat, go store and just be casual. Was never in a hurry. I spent a day sanding and staining.
Jeff

creative

Very nice job I love to watch DIY's get the pride that is deserved when they are done with a project like this. Keep up the good work and enjoy your beautiful aquarium.