Stand top leveling importance?????

nbzak

Hi Needing a little advice. I'm having a stand built for a 240 gal acylic tank. Builder was told of the importance of being level. I check the level on the 3/4" plywood and it looks like he used the worst bowed piece he could get. He told me the bow will come out. Almost done and there is a 1/4" diff at one end. Needless to say we are having a meeting in the am w/ contractor.

My question is how much of a leeway (sp) can the top be for the tank to sit on and is there any future damage to think of to the tank? Please let me know. NBZAK

al mc

How long is the tank? 1/4" over 6 feet is not a huge deal even though I agree with you that the contractor should fix. It is one thing to deal with an existing imperfection...another to have to live with one that could/should be done right when you are in the middle of building/remodeling.

uberlink

I think a 1/4" tilt should not be a big problem. BUT...
I think it will be a problem if there is some part where the tank sits up on one end. Does that make sense? It's one thing if the tank is in complete contact with the stand but the stand is slightly unlevel. But it's another if there is a single contact point where the tank rests. I would worry that when you fill it up you might crack the tank.

myreef05

If you are talking stand, then ZERO leeway. It has to be perfect or the pressure on one side could cause problems. Thats with glass, Acrylic I am sure will be close.

L

lablabablah

just put a shim under it and put it in the inside to level it out, not a big deal and an easy solution. I am a cabinet maker and deal with that kind of thing daily

myreef05

Originally Posted by lablabablah
just put a shim under it and put it in the inside to level it out, not a big deal and an easy solution. I am a cabinet maker and deal with that kind of thing daily
Thats what I did to fix or adjust mine.

maelv

All of these sounds like good ideas, my issue with the whole situation is NBZAK didn't build the stand himself. If he did, then yes rig it to make it work...I don't think 1/4" is that big of an issue.
The issue is, that I bet NBZAK is paying a pretty penny to have someone come in and build him a stand.....Make the contractor get it right. Don't settle....HE WOULDN'T!!!! And that is why you paid him.
My two cents worth...

myreef05

Originally Posted by maelv
All of these sounds like good ideas, my issue with the whole situation is NBZAK didn't build the stand himself. If he did, then yes rig it to make it work...I don't think 1/4" is that big of an issue.
The issue is, that I bet NBZAK is paying a pretty penny to have someone come in and build him a stand.....Make the contractor get it right. Don't settle....HE WOULDN'T!!!! And that is why you paid him.
My two cents worth...
Yes Sir, 3 bags full. I agree 100% Barry

veni vidi vici

Make him fix it,If its a bowed piece of lumber and the crown is faceing up ,it probably will straighten out.However the stress it is gonna put on your tank may cause problems"Crack!".If its crowned downward it will stay that way.If its just out of level it can be adressed with shims.Anywho if its new and your paying for it, anyone of the 3 senerios are unacceptable.

nbzak

Thxs everyone for your quick replys. The tank is 72" long. I'm glad to hear that shimming is ok to do with this much weight. But, you are right that this is a new construction home and I am paying for the work and if I was doing it myself I'd accept some errors, but a professional shld have used a better piece of plywood.
It is bowed upward in the middle at one end. I know the weight will push it down, but do you think that there would be any furture damage to the tank?
NBZAK

uberlink

I doubt you'll ever have any problem, if it's just bowed up a bit like you describe. But I'd still get the guy to fix it!

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by NBZAK
Thxs everyone for your quick replys. The tank is 72" long. I'm glad to hear that shimming is ok to do with this much weight. But, you are right that this is a new construction home and I am paying for the work and if I was doing it myself I'd accept some errors, but a professional shld have used a better piece of plywood.
It is bowed upward in the middle at one end. I know the weight will push it down, but do you think that there would be any furture damage to the tank?
NBZAK
Is this just a piece of plywood that has delaminated a bit?Looks like it has a bubble in it that can be pushed down with your finger.Or are we talking a cross member that has a bow in it?If its just plywood that is going to be under the DT like a tabletop then i wouls say its ok. I would however put a piece of plastic over it though to stop it from getting wet in future and cause it to rott.
LOL i would just make him replace it though just for being a hack.Im a carpenter and its the little things like that ,that seperates a professional from a woodbuching hacker.

reefforbrains

All stands I build I aim for dead level.
Anything else really just bites you in the tail later.
1/4 inch is a huge gap for slop when your talking to someone doing "finish-work" which is what your stand really should be classified as.
Most cabinet makers measure to the 16th, the geeks go to the 32nd, and the show offs use calipers and go to the 64th in competition. Granted that is extreme but most any finish guy will aim for MAX of 1/16th on any finish product where slop is concerned.
JMO I would ditch the builder if that is his/her idea of level on something you have clearly explained the importance and application to. 1/4 inch slope is huge. I wouldnt listen to any line of poop about length of draw or otherwise. No slope, keep it under 1/16th, sure it is a pain, but thats finish work for ya.

nbzak

I'M happy to say
that after a few shims under the plywood and a belt sander to the top middle it is now level and straight no bow. And looks wonderful
.... I will be starting a journal soon and will have pics to post. Thanks to all NBZAK