Stand warping?

toosalty

I have a 72 bow with stand and started to notice on the right very bottom in front the wood feels like "hills" when I run my hand over it. Now I know this is b/c of water that spills sometimes on it. Now my question is should I brace the inside with 2x4 or is it ok?
To be honest I am actually amazed that this stand can hold any weight. When I look at other stands for different tanks they look like they can hold a house. The bow stand is made out of 1/2 thick wood...thats it

gio28

my tank wasnt made for the stand i bought cause it dosent have that much lip support. i added a few 2X4s and have had no problems. my stands wood is also around 1/2"thick. i would just add them for support, plus for me it stopped all the stress it was causing me that my tank might crash to the floor. i would still keep an eye on the wood though since it has already warped.

scsinet

Is the stand made of that medium density fiberboard (MDF)??? That stuff absorbs water like a sponge and causes the problems you are describing. I used to build stands out of the stuff until I saw how that tends to happen, I never build stands out of it anymore.

toosalty

Im pretty sure its made out of that material. I measured the heights of the stand everywhere and its not causing any problems yet... I was thinking about making some rectangle squares made out of 2x4 for inside the stand for both sides. Will that work or should I do something better??? Any suggestions would be good. THX

L

lilredwuck

I have a suggestion for you. Take the bottom of the stand off. Cut out the bad spots on the bottom and reattach. I have a 220 stand that had a LOT of water damage near the bottom. I took off the bottom and replaced it with a new one. I also cut 2" off the bottom of the tank all the way around. Let's see if I can find some pictures.

scsinet

Originally Posted by TooSalty
http:///forum/post/3154574
Im pretty sure its made out of that material. I measured the heights of the stand everywhere and its not causing any problems yet... I was thinking about making some rectangle squares made out of 2x4 for inside the stand for both sides. Will that work or should I do something better??? Any suggestions would be good. THX
Can you attach some pics? That might help us conceptualize what you are trying to do.

toosalty

Here are the pics of the stand warping and where I would like to add the support inside the stand. The pic of the wood piece is just a example of what im trying to describe with the 2x4.

scsinet

Yeah that'll work. That's definitely an MDF stand... I don't get it... it's the worst possible material to make stands out of. I learned my lesson after one stand... but manufacturers are still doing it after years...