stanley GFCI

fishking

does anyone use the GFCI (i think its also Ground Faulty Interupter) made by stanley, if so do they actually cut off the power when my pump starts to leak electricity into my tank and is this a good product

doublezero

I use GFI's on all my outlets I have "tank" things (powerheads, heater, lights, etc) plugged into.. The way they work is exactly like in your bathroom, outdoor outlets, and kitchen... if a ground fault occurs (too much overvoltage, ie spills onto the electrical cord or dropping of an electrical appliance into a sink or bath) it cuts out the circuit...
HTH

masterreef

Actually GFI's are current protection devices and required just about everywhere in the US for use when water is present. They measure the current delivered to a circuit and the current being returned through the neutral line which must be identical. If there is a difference, the device trips because current is "leaking" into something (or someone) unintentionally. I wouldn't be without one . . .

fishking

my stanley gfci has shut my stuff of two times since this morning and i think its my heater thats doing it, anyone out there know if heaters do that

oscardeuce

Check your heter for leaks, if none, sometimes a large sudden load can trip the GFI. For example refridgerators will trip GFI's because when they start up they have a large current draw.

fishking

i think it was my pc lights in my Mh cause when i woke up this morning the blue actintic were still on, my timers all messed up, so i went to the ballast and turn the switch off and it triggered the gfi to turn off, so i unplugged it and now everything is fine, it hasn't shut off yet