Star Fish ID?

S

suprbeagle

We have a very tiny starfish that came as a hitchhiker. Any guesses on what he could be? Maybe a chocolate chip?? TIA.

asterina star . . . algae eater and perfectly reef safe.
(unless you have the rare variety that will eat SPS corals, but if you dont have SPS then nothing to worry about)

pwisecup

I also have two tiny starfish that just recently "appeared" in my tank. They look like yours, I think. Is yours a drab brownish grey? Is it about the size of the end of your small finger? This may be what I have. I've been wondering what they are.

lovethesea

boy, I am hedging towards a CC also. Do you have a clearer shot? Does it look like little bumps at all on the top of him?
Our hitchhiker (an asternia) is whiter than that.
If its a CC, in time he will be a threat to your reef.

tonya-sr

It looks to me like, Asterina's, Region: Circumtropical, Description: Very small sea star, some only 1/4 inch in diameter, others up to about 1 inch. Three species are commonly imported with LR. A small whitish Asterina sp. feeds on algae on the aquarium glass. Other larger species may sometimes feed on coral tissue and are dangerous in a reef aquarium because they proliferate rapidly by fission. Similers: None. Desirasble/undesirable features: harmful to corals. Some species are reef safe. They may be utilized as food for Hymenocera sp. shrimp. Food: Herbivorous. Some eat coral tissue. Special considerations: Moniter them to be sure they don't aet your corals. Hardiness: Reproduce prolifically. Life span years. LOL.

S

suprbeagle

We actually have 3 of them. They are very tiny and look exactly like miniature CCs. More tan than whitish in color. They also have the darker "nubs" like CCs have. I'll try to get a clearer shot - my camera isn't the greatest for macro pictures.

S

suprbeagle

Originally posted by Tizzo
Love the dog!!!

Thanks! She's my baby. :)