Star ID Help?

jumpfrog

Ophiura and other star experts:
Picked up a star today for our 46 bow. The tank has been running for over a year with plenty of light algea growth and other detritus. My LFS said this was a red linkia. I know how difficult it is to ID stars and I'm not dissing the LFS. But, I'd love to know the true ID so I can make sure I take care of it properly. Can any one make a good ID with this pic. I'll to get one better but these animals seldom want to make picture taking simple:D
TIA

spsfreak100

Yup...looks like a Linkia, although i'm not 100% sure on it.
Linkia Starfish (linkia laevigata) are hard to keep. Usually they are extremely sensitive to even the slightest water change. All stars have a hydrovascular systems that arr very sensitive to water changes, esspecielly in salinity, temperature, and pH. Any fast changes in pH, salinity, or temperature can cause damage resulting in Loss of limbs, shrinking, and slowely dying off. They will also need a very specific diet, and if its requirements aren't met, it's sure to die off.
Not all linkia stars are this sensitive. The Linkia guildingi
or the Orange/Red Linkia is actually not a 'true' linkia starfish. These do much better in the aquarium, and is a lot be much easier and hardier to keep than the blue or purple linkia.
I wouldn't buy something without properly knowing what star it is, and its full requirements.
Graham

ophiura

I hope you acclimated that for no less than 4 hours, using a drip method. These stars do not eat detritus, and require a lot of LR to survive. IMO, a 46 bow is on the small side, unless you have 70+ pounds of LR. They can not be spot fed in most situations. There really are not any hardy reef safe stars.
FWIW, I can't tell anything about it from that picture. Would need a better view.
Many reef safe stars die within a month after introduction from acclimation shock. Many others die around 9-12 months of starvation. It is an uphill battle with these guys in smaller tanks.

jumpfrog

Graham and Susan, thank you both for your replies. I agree with the general concept of not buying an animal until you know how to care for it. My LFS is very knowledgeable and is very selective on what he will sell and to whom. I also know that even with good intentions, stars are hard to ID. Therefore, I was looking for some insight to make sure I do my best to care for this star.
I'll try to get a better pic to allow for a better ID.
Thanks again.

ophiura

Are there 6 arms on that? It might then be Echinaster luzonicus, reef safe, large tank, mature tank, lots of LR, loooongg drip acclimation (4+) hours, etc etcetcetcetcetcetcetc :)

jonthefb

is it really red or more of a deep red/purple. Im thinking it ould be Tamaria stria, but who knows!
good luck, its a gorgeous star
jon

ophiura

I believe it is Echinaster luzonicus. See info above, though info for Linckia will be appropriate also. They are all very similar in their requirements for slow acclimation, lots of mature LR, can't be spot fed, etc.