Star polyp being attacked?

ooferret

So I have a green star polyp that's not opening much. I've actually got two frags growing together but only one opens any more. I thought it was prolly nothing just crabs climbing over it (one hermit crab likes to perch on it) well I got up this morning and noticed something anemone like it ran away when the lights came on so I didn't get a picture. A tiny one was there when I bought the frag 8 months ago and it didnt bother the gsp but this morning there was another one much larger on top of it. Whatever was on it has tiny clear arms with blue tips on it. I can't see any now but do you think that's the problem and what can I do about it? I seperated a frag to sell back (same level and waterflow as the problem gsp) and it's rebounded perfectly so it can't be the tank parameters. I know clear arms with blue tips aren't much to go off of but ill try and turn the lights off and snag a quick picture if it comes back off. Also the original spot was about the size of a button on a remote control the newly noticed was maybe dime sized

S

saxman

It's probably a commensal shrimp or crab, based on your description, but I can't see anything in your photo. I think you have your camera too close for the lens to focus properly on whatever you're looking at, as I can't see anything.

ooferret

Yea the first picture sucked so I ended up moving stuff around. There's two in that picture one in the middle and one in the top right. I think it is a pseudocorynactin maybe? See if a better pic helps

dmanatee

does it look like this with blue tips and mostly see through? It might be a manjo anemone, which is bad news!

ooferret

So the second question can it be the reason the green star won't open up? It's been there forever and the polyp was fine but now that there's several theres no open polyps. It's the wife's favorite coral aka green wavey thingy and so if it dies off so does future funding of aquatic projects. The other frags are open but aren't as large as they just began growing out from this frag so it can't be light or tank chem levels right?

deton8it

I highly doubt it is the reason your GSP isn't opening. If you think the anemones are bothering the GSP then get rid of them. Keep in mind, GSP is very hardy and spreads quick. SHe will have her "green wavey thingy" back in no time. 2 years ago I had a piece about the size of a quarter in my tank. At it's largest it was about 1.5 feet long by 8 inches or so. I now take it to my LFS and trade it or throw it in the trash if I don't have enough to bother with. I trim it when ever I feel like it.

John