star polyps not opening

stupid_naso

I just bought star polyps and button polyps today. My buttons are doing fine, but the star are not opening at all. All I can see is the purple base. I have read on other post that it takes awhile, but I'm just concerned. My lfs only gives 24 hour return policy, so how can I tell whether it's just adapting or dying?

brian'sreef

for some things 24 hours just isn't long enough.. star polyps do normally take a while to fully open up after being introduced ito a tank.. even in perfect conditions.. you'll just have to give it time.. stars are very hardy.. and if the specimen that you bought was a good healthy looking one then you should be ok.. just be patient.. ;)
Brian

byrself

well, i have some purple base ones also, and mine do great. i guess it does depend on what shape you get them in, but for me mine are the best ones i have. they took a day or so, but now they look even better than they did @ the fish store. how much light do you have? i noticed on mine that if i only run half my bulbs, they don't seem to come out like they do with all my lights running. i have 220 watts on mine. just thought i'd share my observations. i agree that 24 hours return policy doesn't do much good, especially with coral. i wouldn't stress it though. :D

brian'sreef

Your PC's should do the trick with light .they also like a fairly good current..it's neat to watch them as they spread (all over everything) .. if you put them near the back of your tank they will eventually hit your glass and cover it.. i have seen several tanks just covered in these things.pretty cool little soft coral..
Brian

flameangel

My star polyps were like that too....and if you decide to move them around in your tank, they'll probably do it again. They are very easy to frag too. When you start to see new growth handing off your rock and isn't attached to anything, you can slice/cut it off and lay it on another rock. That's all there is to it. I've done mine twice now and all star polyps are doing great! They do get frazzled easily, but time heals all wounds! ;)

predator

I have both green stars and purple stars in my tank. My green stars took two days to open up. They are pretty moody at first. But now hardly anything shakes them up. About the only toime you do not see them out is after lights out. I would not be to worried about them. So long as you saw them open at your lfs.

Mine took 6 day's to show their self,i was
starting to thing that they were dead,but i
read that if they are dying they will fall off
the rock.So don't worry yet,they are some of
the hardest corals,to kill.