star polyps

tank a holic

I have a small patch of cyano, and its growing right on the rock that my star polyps are on, and slowly but surely the cyano is covering up the holes and the polyps are cot coming out as much
how can I get rid of it and save my polyps... tooth brush? or will that hurt thr polyps?

btldreef

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3222624
I have a small patch of cyano, and its growing right on the rock that my star polyps are on, and slowly but surely the cyano is covering up the holes and the polyps are cot coming out as much
how can I get rid of it and save my polyps... tooth brush? or will that hurt thr polyps?
A) siphon the cyano
B) take a turkey badger and squirt water at the cyano until it breaks loose from the polyps *this is a short term solution, but it may save your polyps in the meantime
C) change your flow so that more is hitting this area if the tank
D) do steps A-c together

tank a holic

I'll try it tonight with the lights out so all the polyps are in
it may be easier to move the polyps to a higher flow area than adjust the flow as I dont want to disturb the other corals
I'll to a little t and e

tank a holic

this is after I tried a turkey baster, when it didn't work very well I tried a syringe for more pressure. I even tried a tooth brush in the crevice where there's no polyps and I cant get it off
I placed the rock in front of the PH you can see in the back. I hope it works
I just cant get the cyano off the rock
this was taken at night with the lights off and a flash on the camera, thats why the polyps are not out... I'll take another with the lights on tomorrow

spanko

Cyano would blow off that rock easily. Is this red algae something new that has grown on the rock? Have you touched it, is it hard?

tank a holic

its growing in 2 places in the tank, this rock and one other
its very slick to the touch but hard enough to withstand a soft bristled tooth brush.... again I didn't get crazy with the brush because I was afraid to hurt the polyps but like said before cyano would have come off
this is probably 2-3 weeks worth of growth but the way the rock was turned before (90 degrees from the way it is now) I only just realized some of the polyps werent coming out anymore

spanko

in that case I am going to guess that it is the mat the polyps grow from spreading out. If there are polyps in the area and they are opening a bit, may just be new polyps.

tank a holic

today when I checked some of the ones that quit coming out seemed to be sprouting slightly... will monitor for a few days

spanko

They look fine in this picture. Purple mat growing out and new small polyps appearing.
What is in the red circle, is it a feather duster or a pest anemone?

garick

Most of your polyps like that prefer water flow that makes them actually move. I've had them in no flow to light flow spots and they took forever to come out, some never did. The moment I placed them in medium to strong current they came out quickly.
Also that red, could it be a type of coraline. I have some red on a rock of mine that almost appears to be some sort of thick mushroom like substance. It has an apparent border and grows out like a leaf but hard against the rock its on.