Starfish Advice please

i love fish

I wanna get some starfish in the future but heard that they try to eat ur small fish, is this true?
Also, how do I spot a healthy 1, what and how do I feed it? Will it b ok in a DSB? R any particular kind or starfish 'bad'?
thank u

petieaztec

if you have coral go for a red brittle star... i have read linkas like lower temps than corals do....... i would ask ophilia she is the star expert

natclanwy

I am assuming since you posted in the coral section that you have a reef tank, that being said as far as what is readily available your best bet is going to be some type of brittle or serpent star with the exception of the green brittle star, they are hardy and shouldn't bother corals or fish and will help clean up leftover food. Linkias are difficult to care for and from what I have read nearly impossible to keep long term. I have just learned about fromia stars and have not done any research on them yet so I can give any info about them Ophiara is definitely the one to ask though. These are the only reef safe stars that are readily available in the aquarium trade that I know of.

detguy313

i would keep one of the serpents or brittles..like said they are hardy and won't bother corals...i would stay away from the green brittle..they are known to take out fish...i watched it with my own eyes...i would stay away from the linkias and fromias as weel..you need a large mature tank with lots of rock work for them to even have a chance at surviving long term...will this be going into the 90 gal???

i love fish

Originally Posted by detguy313
http:///forum/post/2584177
i would keep one of the serpents or brittles..like said they are hardy and won't bother corals...i would stay away from the green brittle..they are known to take out fish...i watched it with my own eyes...i would stay away from the linkias and fromias as weel..you need a large mature tank with lots of rock work for them to even have a chance at surviving long term...will this be going into the 90 gal???
yep it will be going into the 90g, but I don't have any corals as yet only sand and rocks.

mcbdz

I would not add any star for at least 6 months. You want to make sure your tank is stable and you have learned your basic husbandry first. The more mature the tank the better.

I have a Sand Sifting Starfish, in the 10g in my bedroom..he's been in there since I started the tank, which was 9 months ago, he climbs all over the glass :)