Starfish and babies...

wade163

Ok...real quick question....can star fish have babies?...I know it sounds kind of strange, but on all realness, I looked in my tank, and saw something about the size of a dime with 5 arms and a little circle in the middle out walkin around on the rocks. I havent put anything in my tank since early Sept, and that was a racoon butterfly...so it cant be something that hitch hiked in my tank or a rock or something. I am goin to try to post some pics, but I am on my way out the door...THIS IS PRETTY SWEET...anyone have thoughts???

M

markeo99

they are miniature brittle stars I'm guessing. hitchiker
and they do reproduce and eat lots of deterious

perfectdark

Were they fast moving? I agree either mini brittle stars or asteria (sp) stars another beneficial hitchiker and common in our aquariums

wade163

all of which sound like great ideas....but the "main" star is a serpent, and I have had the live rock for about 12 - 13 months. So if he was a hitch hiker....you mean to tell me i am just now seeing him, I even went from a 30 to 75 gallon...

oceansidefish

It's very possible, I would doubt that a starfish's offspring would survive in a tank with just about anything. My guess would definately be the miniature brittle stars. I have a bunch of them in my tank. One in my overflow that lives in the rubble I have in there. Sometimes I see him everyday and sometimes not for months

wade163

well there are some pics...but I just dont belive that is is possible that i got this live rock almost a year ago, and to change tanks 3 month later, and now in the 75 since Jan of 08. Where has it been, what has it been livin on....I am just amazed at this lil thing that appeared outta no where....I would ask what it eat, what can I do to make sure it survives, but I mean, I MUST be doing something right

steelytom

They don't normaly come out. I have them but only see there arms sticking out to get food. The only time I see them is when i pick a rock up and one is on the underside.