Starfish blue or purple?

plum70rt

I added a blue starfish today,LFS said blues are not as hardy as purple, anyone had luck with either of these?

sistrmary

I've had nothing but luck with my purple starfish, but the friend that I got into saltwater had his purple one die, but has had a blue one for a while now...it just depends on your water perameters. Regardless of which one you have, make sure and watch your pH as all starfish are extremely sensitive to it...good luck with the blue :D

ca62296

i agree, just watch your perameters, esp.ammonia, not just ph, due to the fact that i had a choco. chip star fish which died from high ammonia, now that i have all of my peram. in control, my red serpent star fish is doing great. all invertebrates are very sensitive to water conditions.

fishfreek

I have had both, and feel purple stars are far heartier then the blue linka. In addition to the water perameters already mentioned, you also should try to keep nitrates at low levels(under 10-15ppm).HTH

fishfreek

The one i have is reef safe and has never damaged or ate any of my corals. I think it was golfish that said the purples that are not reef safe are the ones that have yellow feet. Mine has white feet. HTH

blutang

I have also heard the Blue Linkas are really sensative to salinity and water temp changes....thats about it though....I have another post on this board asking more questions if anyone would like to help me out.:)