Starfish Dicing

jkp rules

Anyone ever cut their starfish in half to get two? I was saying how I had done it before to someone at an LSF and a guy said that he read that no ones ever documented cutting one in half and getting two. But that sounds wrong to me. Input?

renogaw

only some stars reproduce this way afaik. you're better off pm'ing ophiura and asking her, if she doesnt respond to this post. she's the resident star guru

texasmetal

You risk both halves dying.
If your water conditions are absolutely perfect and there's enough food to support two starfish you might get lucky. Would be a neat experiment, but that's just what I would consider it, an experiment.

jkp rules

well, i cut my serpant and one of my brittle stars in half about a week ago. so far as i can tell, all four halves are still alive and moving around, and whenever i see one, it seems as though they are healing. so thats pretty awsome.

M

morrowss

Umm.... that just seems kinda wrong...hope it works out for ya

E

eric b 125

JKP: what did it look like when you cut your stars? what did you cut them with? did you just slice em and stick em back in the tank? not that i plan on doing this, i'm just wondering.