Starfish Help PLEASE

J

jbk65

I just got a starfish as a hitch hiker on a piece of LR. The Start Fish is a Linckia multiflora. Before I shut down the lights last night, I noticed one of his tentacles was starting to turn up, (upside down). Didn't think much about it. Didn't see the star fish this morning before I left for work, but the lights are still off as I leave early.
When I came home, I noticed the star fish had crawled under a piec of live rock, and have now noticed that at least two of the tentacles are upside down.
Is this normal for a star fish, or is this something I have to worry about. As far as I can tell, the color is still perfect, but I am hesitent to move the LR incase the star fish is hiding.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dad

There is not much you can do. I would just leave it alone and see what happens in a few days, :)
Let us know. HTH

hirock

When acclimating Starfish/Urchins and the likes of, Temp and SG are key. Acclimate very slowly by adjusting the temp by floating the bag/container for about an hour. (Possibly more time may be needed) Remove 1/10th - 1/8th of the water volume in the bag/container, and do a slow drip with the same amount of tank water. Periodically check the dosing container till empty, and repeat 8 - 10X. This will help assure a proper acclimation & SG is achieved. This will increasing your odds favorably for transplanting your new specimen into your system.
GL

clarkiiboi

I read your earlier post and at first I was in aww that you got that starfish as an added bonus (as alot of us are still searching for one), then my concerns went to you didnt know it was there and what happens with short acclimation, if any acclimation. I am no starfish expert, but do know about the long acclimation process for them, so you can bet it will have an uphill battle now, if this is a sign I dont know, but hopefully the starfish guru will jump in soon. So a bump up for her to see. Crossing my fingers for you---that darn hindsight will bite ya at times!

J

jbk65

Last night I spent some diligent time, breaking up some defrosted clams and shrimp and carefully placed in close to the mouth of the starfish.
After watching for a while, I notices some slight movement in the starfish and left it alone. About 30 minutes later I came back. All the food was gone and he had move across the tank.
All the tentacles looked better. I broke up some more food, and placed it close to the mouth again.
Came back about an hour later and most, but not all of it was gone and he was moving around some more.
At this point I will assume it was a combination of acclimation and hunger, but it seems to be doing better now.
I will keep a close eye on it to track its progress. I would still love to know if the tentacles turning upside down is a sign of anything specific.