Starfish in FO?

col

Will any kind of star do well in a FO (no LR yet), or are they strictly Reef.

ophiura

This depends on what type of fish you are going to keep in there.
You can do brittlestars if you do not have any aggressive things like triggers and puffers.
Otherwise (and they may still be at risk with some fish) chocolate chip, general, african red, etc stars will work, because they are hardy and can be spot fed.
Reef safe stars should be avoided at all costs. They are delicate, and can not be spot fed (require lots of LR).

bas12547

I have a chocolate Chip Star in my tank. It is real easy and hardy, but I wish I didn't get him because I cannot convert to a reef.
My kids love him so I can't get rid of it. He is a very animated creature in my tank. Moves all around and begs for food by going to the top and extends an arm.
Brian

col

I have no puffers or triggers etc.
At the moment i only have 1 perc and 1 four spot wrasse in 42G, with cleaner shrimp.

killafins

i would recommend a starfish, I keep ordering them from my LFS but htey don't come in! gerrrr, but they are slow enough not to catch fast fish. Brittle stars are a little quicker and pose a threat to slow moving fish. I think a chocalate chip would suit u well...

bwets_angel

I have had a Chocolate Chip Star Fish in my tank for over a year now. Actually it was one of the first things I put in my tank and he is doing great. I also bought 2 more Chocolate Chips about a week after I bought the first one and then 2-3 months ago bought a General Star Fish. All of mine are doing excellent and I have a FO tank.

acez28

i had a chocolate chip starfish too. But i dont have anything good to say about them. Well it was very animated but it kept eating my condi anemones. I had to get rid of it but its a nice addition to the tank if you have no anemones

ophiura

ets_angel,
How big is your tank? All species you have are highly predatory, and should be kept well fed, or they will die of starvation. They should not be left to scavenge for leftovers.
Are you sure this is a crown of thorns star? It is a terrible choice. They get very, very large. And they are venemous (I do question, FWIW, the identification).
This is Acanthaster
, from the (absolutely fabulous...really, one of my favorite) image site:
Imagequest3D

Here are some excerpts from eMedicine
Starfish (Asteroidea) envenomation in humans is well described, with the crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci) as the main culprit (see Image 1, Image 2). Acanthaster species possess long (5-6 cm) extremely sharp spines projecting from the dorsal surfaces of their bodies and numerous arms (7-23, a notable exception to the usual 5 arms). These spines are covered with a 3-layered integument that, in turn, is associated with glandular cells that produce a variety of toxins. Rupture of the overlying integument during spine penetration results in release of a range of bioactive substances capable of causing local and generalized toxicity in humans

Crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci)
Envenomation begins with penetration of the skin with the long remarkably sharp dorsal spines. Usually, but not invariably, immediate excruciating burning pain is experienced at the puncture site. Divers are reportedly at risk of unsafe ascent, disorientation, and loss of control because of the intense pain. A single puncture may result in several hours of pain, while multiple or intraarticular punctures may lead to pain, discomfort, and limitation of joint movement for several weeks.
Bleeding at the puncture site may be prolonged in some patients and is followed by surrounding ecchymosis and soft-tissue swelling. Systemic symptoms of protracted nausea and vomiting, headache, arthralgias, paresthesias, and muscular paralysis are less substantiated than the other symptoms described but, nevertheless, are reported in several texts. Case reports of edema and pruritus suggest the possibility of allergic reaction, although no reports of anaphylaxis or fatality are mentioned.
Common complications result from retained foreign material and include secondary infection and granuloma formation
But something positive :rolleyes:
No deaths are known to have resulted from the crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci), although injury eventually resulting in leg amputation has been reported.

bwets_angel

That's not what I have. They sell it on swf.com and call it a Red General Starfish but can also be called a Crown of Thorns and I'm pretty sure that's what the LFS had it labeled as. Oh well this is a picture of it.

ophiura

It is definitely not commonly known as the "Crown of thorns" star, which has a very negative reputation and refers to a very specific animal. Atleast I have never heard of it that way. Not that common names in this hobby really mean much at all. Sometimes it is called an "african red," aka Protoreaster lincki. Very different beast indeed from Acanthaster. Suitable for FO tanks though.
Like I said, try to keep all of them well fed. But none of them are reef safe and just about anything is a possible meal. Just be prepared! It might eat something you don't want it to, but is simply following instinct.

bwets_angel

Don't worry all of my starfish are really well fed. And so far they haven't bothered anything that they weren't supposed to but I do realize that they can eat my anemone or even each other. The LFS I got it at did tell me that they can be known to eat other star fish but also said that as long as all of my star fish are around the same size then more than likely they won't bother each other.

col

from the u build it section
The Red General, a.k.a. African Sea Star or Crown of Thorns Starfish

dindi

if you have live rock with sponge's then your gonna hate your stars IMO well they do eat them...

ophiura

Well I'll be. They call them that. I've never heard them called that, and, IMO, it is a poor selling point. Might have to tell them that. Nothing like selling them by a name commonly attributed to a voracious, huge, venomous seastar when they are not.

bwets_angel

Ophiura, you say you can spot feed them. What do you feed them when spot feeding them? Mine have all just been scavengers and are doing quite well. I feed the fish a little extra at times and leave algea on the glass in front of the filter and the first one I purchased grabbs my bio balls and eats off of them.

killafins

lmao, i have heard them called that before but i have also heard the other starfish, the 'real' crown of swords, called a few different names too.