Starfish Info

frink

I currently have a pencil urchin but need to get rid of it because it is continually causing rockfalls. I want to trade it in and get some other type of starfish. Problem is I don't know to much about them. I don't really like the look of the brittle stars. Are there any others that are recommended for the reef. I currently have cardinalfish, corals, cleaner shrimp, turbo snails and hermit crabs. Any problems putting a reef safe starfish with these other tankmates? Tank has been running problem free now for a 6 mos.

ophiura

Originally posted by Frink
I don't really like the look of the brittle stars.

Back off man!! Them's fightin' words!
:D :p :D
I'll overlook this comment :D
Can you tell us the size of your tank, and roughly how much LR you have. Sounds like the star will definitely need to be a reef safe one, but some are better than others based on tank size and amount of LR.
Good to trade the pencil urchin in...all urchins will bulldoze, but the pencil is one of the few that will consume meaty things too. Most will only go after algae, but not those guys. Anything in their path is fair game.

cc0905

Just my 2 cents, but I think the more diversity, the better. Try a "blue tuxedo urchin" instead, they won't bother the rocks (very soft short spines), other inverts or corals and are pretty fun to watch because they pick things up and attach it to themselves as camo, my LFS guy also claims they are a good indicator of overall water quality, because if they don't have things attached they are not doing well :D JMO

rook

Hey Ophiura,
I have seen a certain starfish mentioned on this board a few times but I don't recall the name. It is similar to a linkia, but smaller and less difficult to care for.
An Ideas?
I'll try to do some searching.

frink

Sorry to offend you Ophiura. No harm was intended. My tank is 55 gallons and I have about 60lbs of live rock. I want to trade it so that I have an organism in the echinoderm phylum. Trying to amass as many different critters in peace as possible. With that said, I may try and add a sponge later on. Don't know if that will make a difference in what type of star to get.
Thanks

rook

Ok I found it.
Linckia multiflora,
They seem from the search I did, to be somewhat more durable and easier to care for than other linkia's.
Ophiura, can you tells us some more details about these, or point to a source that describes their requirments.
I have a 29 gallon about 2 years old, over 50lbs of liverock. I have a brittle that is about 2 years old and a sand star that is about 8 months old.
Would adding one of these be too many stars in my tank?
Also, a side question, I recent switched to a dsb in my tank. The dsb is not yet full of pods and other critters for the sand star to eat. What can I give to the sand star for supplimental food source?
Thanks,

jonthefb

rook, i used to bury small chunks of krill in the sandbed and my sandsifter loved em....he would surface as soon as the stuff hit the water!
good luck
jon

ophiura

Frink, LOL :D Have had a bunch of coffee and my IHOP breakfast, so I am too full to get too offended now :D. I just have a slight bias...others might call it slight insanity. ;)
With sponges, things could get interesting. The diets of reef safe stars are a bit open to question. Some may, in fact, eat sponges (Fromia stars for example). Whether they stick to small one's on LR, or go for larger one's too, is hard to know. Would be experimental for sure. Your tank size is a bit marginal for some of the larger reef safe stars, like a blue Linckia.
My first suggestion is the smaller, tougher, Linckia multiflora. It will probably do well, and is pretty likely to even reproduce (asexually) in your system.
Marginal species include:
- The orange Linckia (which is not a true Linckia in most cases, perhaps Henricia).
- The purple Linckia (typically Tamaria stria) has its opponents, with some claiming that they are not entirely reef safe.
- The burgandy Linckia (typically Echinaster luzonicus
)
As mentioned, the blue Linckia is probably not a good choice, as it gets quite large. Most Fromia species stars are also not good choices, as most seem to die at the one year mark, of starvation.
Many of these stars will, in fact, die of starvation, which is where LR becomes critical. Also, keeping more than one specimen will be a problem.
Rook, probably Linckia multiflora
, which ryebread has posted pics of....this is a true Linckia, but smaller than others, and has even come in as a hitch hiker.
Still, most reef safe stars are pretty delicate, so acclimation is critical. Water params should be pristine, with specific grav about 1.025-1.026.
I have an article I can send off on these stars. You can do a Google search for Toonen and Linckia, or write me at ophiuroid@att.net
Just saw other posts:
The brittle, sandsifter, and Linckia all have very different diets. I don't see it as a major problem. I think Ryebread has his in a 29? Can't remember for sure. But do remember that the natural food of a sandsifter is
the critters you are trying to grow in your sand bed, and most would not recommend them in a functional DSB. You lose diversity of critters. I am not sure all will take spot feeding...mixed messages on that, but worth a try.

rook

Just saw other posts:
The brittle, sandsifter, and Linckia all have very different diets. I don't see it as a major problem. I think Ryebread has his in a 29? Can't remember for sure. But do remember that the natural food of a sandsifter is the critters you are trying to grow in your sand bed, and most would not recommend them in a functional DSB. You lose diversity of critters. I am not sure all will take spot feeding...mixed messages on that, but worth a try. [/B]

Yeah I know that some recommend not having a sand star in a dsb, but I had the star before the dsb and I do not have the heart to get rid of it. I am hoping he will take some food. I will give it a try. Otherwise I am thinking of attempting to culture pods to replenish my dsb as needed. Since I am strongly considering a sixline wrasse as well, I will need to replenish once in a while.
I will email you for your article.
Thank you,

ophiura

By all means give it a go, and keep us posted! The sand sifter is in my "don't know if it will really accept spot feeding in general or not" list. Good luck!