Starfish Looking Thing

logan15

ok I just found this starfish looking thing.it white and it looks very rough heres a pic

attml

I always defer to Ophouria on starfish but it looks to be a Astreana (sp?). Sometimes can be harmful to coral so keep an eye on it!

T

thomas712

It looks like the Asterina star, and most are reef safe, these cute little guys eat algea for the most part, at least they do in my tank, I'm sure they find a tiny bug or two as well.
Thomas

ophiura

Yup, Asterina sp star...nearly all are fine, but may be drawn to sick and dying corals. Now and then one pops up that is more problem, but it is really quite rare, IMO.

blueface

I have a bunch of them in my tank & was debating about getting a harlequin shrimp to eliminate them. I've caught them eating my polyps and especially my coraline???

ophiura

What are you prepared to feed the harlequins starfish if/when they erradicate these Asterinids?
Some Asterina are sometimes reported to eat coralline algae, but in most tanks, this should not be an issue. Coralline grows fast. The same complaint is made against many urchins, and many people avoid them for this reason. But many people will argue that the coralline regrows quite rapidly anyway. As far as polyps are concerned, that is difficult to say. They will often show up on glass and LR....wandering around...and by default end up in the general area of corals. Have you seen them on the polyps? There may be some out there that will eat polyps, SPS corals, etc, but IMO it is not the common form. Indeed, I have loads of these things reproducing in my nano tanks, but have no SPS corals, which they are often condemned for eating. There is a lot of debate about this issue. Many would argue that the stars may be starving in some systems, and may thus be drawn to eat things they would not normally eat. Others may say that this is an individual issue, and not a species issue. Finally, many would say that the stars are drawn to corals that are weak, stressed or dying due to other issues...something that the stars can most certainly 'smell' and will act on long before we recognize that the corals are ill. If they are causing trouble in your system, then by all means remove them. But I am not sure a harlequin is the best solution to that.

nm reef

I have numerous specimans of the same type starfish in my reef and I've never had a problem with them. I'm well aware of the "claims" that they will destroy corals...especially SPS types...but they appear to be peacefull in my system. Primarily scavengers and not predatory as some folks seem to think.Here is a link with a little info about them.:cool:

blueface

Susan thanks for the reply. I keep reading different stories about these stars. Mine are always on my coraline during the day. I have seen them on my star polyps also. Not sure if they are eating or just passing by. I haven't gotten that harlequin yet becauce I'm in the process of converting my 55 to a reef.(got my southdown today) I'm going to set up a fuge & propagate c.c. stars to feed the shrimp when he eats all of those small stars. If & I mean if I decide to get one. I've been debating this for months now & won't jump into any new creatures w/ out a lot of research first. I appreciate your concern.