Starfish loosing its tentacles

grovetsly

I have a cheapy hydrometer and i tested the salinity and it shoed 1.024. I am bidding on a refractometer becasue that was my concern as well. I got him well over 2 mos ago.

ophiura

Yes, need the info above. More about your tank and SPECIFIC parameters.
These stars die within a month of introduction of acclimation shock, or often in about a year of starvation in tanks that are too small.

grovetsly

Parameters:
Tank: 46 gallon bow front
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.10
Temp 82
Ph 8.2
Salinity ~ 1.024. This is one that I need to be certain. Bidding on refractometer to be certain.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by grovetsly
http:///forum/post/2491737
Parameters:
Tank: 46 gallon bow front
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.10
Temp 82
Ph 8.2
Salinity ~ 1.024. This is one that I need to be certain. Bidding on refractometer to be certain.
Get your SG tested at your LFS. How did you acclimate this star? How much rock do you have and how old is this system?

grovetsly

I have about 60lbs of live rock in there. The system is 4 mos old. I acclimated through drip system. The way that saltwaterfish tells their customer to do it.

ophiura

I am worried about your specific gravity. What is your alk and calcium, and have you done recent water changes? Is this a true Linckia or is it the small red "bali star" aka Fromia milleporella?

grovetsly

It is the small red star one. I got it at my LFS two months ago. I have another star fish (sepeant star fish green color) that is doing fine.

ophiura

This one would be far more sensitive to water parameters than the green brittlestar. I'm definitely concerned about your specific gravity and any recent perturbations in the tank.

grovetsly

I won the bid for the refractometer. I need to find out what my salinity is. I did the testing on the alkalinity with the strip and it showed it being fine.