Starfish ok??

jaspian

Wondering if I could get a brittle scar in my tank to help clean... my nitrates run between 10 and 20ppm.. working on getting that down... Would these nitrates be too high for the starfish???

toughguy80

I'm not sure about the star. I'm not to familar with them. But what you'll hear constantly on this board is plant life is one of the best ways to lower nitrates. Just thought I'd give you that little bit of info and also give you a bump and see if some else could answer about the star for you:)

scooterb

Not sure of it being part of a clean up crew but I have a brittle star in my tank that hasn't hurt anything. Great creatures to watch at night.

D

daniel411

Those are fine numbers for a fish only, non-reef tank.
I can't say for certain, but I think that would be low enough for a brittle star.

jaspian

Really..... well do all brittles eat "everything" in the tank.... they wont hunt my fish/hermits will they????

jvance

I have 2 Brittle Stars in my 90 gallon, they havent tryed to eat and live fish yet, but they have eaten 2 dead fish. Also, the other night i watched one try to eat a turbo snail, but it was way too big for it to swallow.