Starfish question

k9-fish

I saw one of those red general starfish and I want one but I read that they don't go well with puffers. Why is that and is that with every puffer?

Puffers will likely nip at a star. I have a large CC star in my aggressive tank, every time his chips start to grow back the triggers take them off again. Triggers and alot of puffers will usauly take a test bite or two to make sure some is edible or not. With the bright red coloration, it is more likey to draw something in to take a test bite.
IMO I think that even the smaller puffers would still take a nip or two out of a general star.
HTH
-Brian

k9-fish

That sucks. Man, I really like the color of it. I wanted to get something that adds color and cleans. Oh well. Are there any stars that would be safe?

With puffers and triggers probably not. The only reason I have that CC in my tank is that my wife likes star fish, I don't mind them but she seems to only likes the ones that are not reef safe. I like linka's but I can't add one to my reef because I am sure my mantis would make short work of it.
Try a CC, they are a very tough star fish and relitively inexpensive. Mine will take food from my hand. Though you run the risk of them killing it. Also CC can take fish that are sick or weak.
-Brian

k9-fish

So it's just the color of the star that might get him nibbled at? The CC has more camo and is likely to be ignored? I really don't NEED a star, I just wanted to add some color without another fish taking up space.

I do not know if it is the color that gets the triggers attention. The CC camo has not really helped him. I think they get more interested it him when he is moving around. The motion draws them in.
With any of the triggers and puffers it is always a roll of the die. You never know they may leave one alone, on the other hand they may make short work of one. They all have different personalities, one may be safe in your tank, myself I couldn't justify the chance of the triggers and puffers eating a $50 star fish. My eel has eaten enough expensive fish, I don't want the triggers to start. :)
-Brian