Starfish

jenncarol

:notsure:
I have a chocolate chip starfish and he is not in my tank right now, at the in-laws. We had ich and treated the tank with copper. We are trying to revive the tank and plan to put our carbon back into the filter to hopefully pull out the copper. How long until I can safely bring my starfish back into my tank. Or, have I ruined a home for inverts in my tank? I have heard conflicting stories, but enough to know to ask around.
thanks!!!!!

lefty

Well, you could use that tank for inverts again, but it would require you to take it completely down to clean it. The copper gets absorbed into the silicone seams and you'd need to use muriatic/hydrochloric acid to get it out (you can find it at pool supply stores). I can explain the process in more detail if you're even thinking about doing this. Also, Cuprisorb will help remove some of the copper.
-lefty

jenncarol

thanks so much for your advice. I added you to my buddy list and will get in touch soon about more details.... thanks, thanks, thanks!

sw65galma

You can Run a Poly Pad in one of your Filters for a while and just continue to run them for about 6months.
it'll take out all the copper and any that leeches.

jenncarol

:D Hey, thanks for the advice. I want to take good care of my starfish when I get him back in my tank...
keeping my fingers crossed!