starfish?

pitbull01

WOW! I had no idea they could re-generate their organs! I know sea cucumbers CAN, but almost NEVER do in the aquarium...yes, you can get the chemi-pure...but how do you know that something in the water is what is stressing it?!?! It could be a tankmate-it could be a lot of things, but the chemi-pure wouldn't hurt anything so you might as well. I am glad YOU have a good LFS, I sure don't. I have to know what I am buying and know everything about it-because mine is full of lies...
I am glad you were able to figure out what was wrong...sorry I was wrong. I love helping people with their tanks, that is why I love this board so much-so thanks for the appreciation...its a good thing you stuck to your gut though, or you would have killed a blue linckia that wasn't dead, or even dying!

pitbull01

Then CAN regenerate their limbs, however, many captive stars don't- and that is why I am worried about this starfish...

celacanthr

oh... I was just saying that it was within their abilities to do so, but not sure on the statistics in captivity.

pitbull01

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
oh... I was just saying that it was within their abilities to do so, but not sure on the statistics in captivity.
-Then your right, but the statistics in captivity are very disappointing...

jes723ika

Thanks again guys.. hopefully FINGERS CROSSED that mine has the WILL to do it :) Just gotta have faith.. I want him to live.. and you're right pitbul, its a good thing I didnt kill it..I would of been so sad.. I'm glad that I waited until he had seen the picture and then could tell me what he would do.... I really do like him and am VERY lucky to have him.. He owns the store.. and its only a fish store.. not like the other two that I've been to that are fish/pet stores..and they have yuppies working that dont know ANYTHING about saltwater tanks.. or the fish...ect... he really seems to know what he's doing and I always trust my instincts, especially with people... glad I did with him... but.. if by chance, the fish dies.. I just wont buy another one, as I wouldnt want this to happen again... its funny because when I do a google on them.. some sites i've read said that they are relatively hardy once they become accusstomed to your tank.. hopefully mine gets his stomach back... and just wants to live... he needs to be a survivor... too bad I dont have the song survivor to play for the little fella LOL :)

ophiura

I definitely wouldn't kill it until other signs appear (eg disintegration of the arms). THe advice given about the star is actually quite good, though I would say its not so much the stomach as other internal digestive organs. But that's not really the issue all in all. I would give it a chance
and hope for the best...but it could take up to a month to show signs of osmotic shock. After that they are often good up to a year, when there is a second peak in mortality (starvation).
Be sure parameters are in the idea range (esp relating to specific gravity) and keep your fingers crossed
I would very much appreciate it if you keep one of these threads updated with how things go!

jes723ika

Thanks ophiura, I'll def keep you all posted on what happens. He hasn't moved around that much at all, not disengrating or falling apart yet though :(
Jes