Starfish???

smccarthy

I would like to buy a starfish for my 40 gal. FOWLR but I don't know what kind to get. The only one's that I know I wouldn't get is a Chocalate Chip or Green Serpent Star. I was thinking about maybe a brown or black Serpent Star but I am not sure, I havn't done enough research on them. Also if it matters my tank just recently finished it's first cycle.

alyssia

You need to wait a good while to let your tank get established before adding a star. :joy:

uberlink

Give yourself at least a couple months with stable parameters. Keep your salinity very stable at around 1.025-1.027, 0 ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates <10.
I wouldn't do a chocolate chip or a green serpent, as both may feed on other critters in your tank. Don't do any of the linkias, as they tend to starve in smaller systems. That leaves you with a brown or black brittle star. I have a brown one (named Twiggy), and I really like him. He'd a bit shy, but that makes it all the more exciting when he comes out every day or two. Pretty easy to keep. Spot feed occasionally with whatever you feed your fish, and they otherwise cruise your rock work for detritus.