Starfish

klchasnov

Hi All I am a new tank owner and have 16 gall with reef live coral clowns, gobies, blue damsel and a red serpent star our clown is now mia and our serent is very big is it possible he ate our nemo??

celacanthr

Yes, very possible.
When you say big do you mean the central disk is oddly shaped, or bigger than usual?
-Cela

klchasnov

I mean his body looks like the Pilsberry Dough Boys hat and yes it is bumpy not smooth and spherical.

celacanthr

ok, then he did eat something relatively large, and so if your clownfish is the only one missing, then it was probably the clownfish that was eaten.

klchasnov

IS this a common trait of the starfish? Do they usually kill the clownfish or only after they are dead? Thanks for your insight.

celacanthr

Its hard to make such sweeping statements about a group as large as the Ophiuroids (fancy name for brittle stars and serpent stars). Some are known for eating fish (Green Serpent Stars) some couldn't possibly eat a fish (Amphipholis squamata). But generally, a serpent star/brittle star CAN eat a fish, but wether it WILL is usually dependent on the environment, and the individual animal.
And your welcome, always happy to help.

celacanthr

It is spelled coelacanth. I wanted to add the r to the end of it, but it wouldn't fit, so I took out the "o", because the "o" confuses people on how to pronounce it (cee la kanth).
:jumping:

ophiura

Originally Posted by klchasnov
Hi All I am a new tank owner and have 16 gall with reef live coral clowns, gobies, blue damsel and a red serpent star our clown is now mia and our serent is very big is it possible he ate our nemo??
How new is your tank?
What are your specific water parameters?
What do you feed this star?
What is certain is that they WILL eat a dead fish.
I would not be quick to jump to the conclusion that it killed it. It is tempting for us to think that all our animal are healthy and they are killed. The general reality is that most fish in our tanks die, far sooner then their lifespans.

klchasnov

The mystery is solved and our red star has had all alligations dismissed and he is allowed to stay. :cheer: Our carpet anenome ate our clown, so much for a symbiotic relationship.
Thank you to all who offered care concern and advice to this new tank owner.