Starfish

I have a 38q and I was wondering about starfish. I have heard success and failure. Has anybody had success with these inverts, and if so, what's the secret?

ophiura

It depends what kind you mean.
First, they need a mature tank with pristine water conditions - esp specific gravity at 1.025-1.026.
They need a long acclimation time, often several hours.
The reef safe seastars can not be spot fed and require very large tanks, typically over 100g, with 125lbs minimum of LR on which they feed.
Non-reef safe stars like chocolate chip stars are easier to keep, but are predatory.
Brittlestars may also be relatively easier to keep as they will also take to spot feeding.
Most reef safe seastars die due to acclimation shock (within a month) or of starvation in about a year.

I was thinking of a brittle star or a linkia star. But from what you just informed me, I think I'll lean towards the brittle :thinking:

sparkee61

Bought a bristle star a few weeks back and all I see is an arm , once in a while, coming from beneath the live rock. I know he's a good cleaner, but never get to see him.

What about serpents? Do they like to go out in the open, or hide? If I buy a starfish for my tank, I at least want to be able to see it.

larryndana

Originally Posted by damseldogooder
What about serpents? Do they like to go out in the open, or hide? If I buy a starfish for my tank, I at least want to be able to see it.
Then get a chocolate chip, but remember they are not reef safe.

ophiura

It is unlikely, all in all, that it would eat the fish.
Brittlestars and serpenstars (which are the same thing), may very well hide most of the time. I wouldn't count on seeing them a lot.

I have a chocolate chip and definatly reccomend one if you keep a keen eye on your water quality. I have had no troubles with him for months now and he looks awesome!

dtdprobe

i have a general star, he is out all the time which is cool , but i think he eats my fish.
My water quailty sux and my S.G. changes all the time. they are not as delicate as some people would make you believe.

ophiura

Certain stars may not be, but it is also not ideal for it to be under those conditions. You can get mass mortality of seastars in bays and such just by getting heavy rainfall. There is no doubt that it causes some metabolic stress.

larryndana

Originally Posted by ophiura
You can get mass mortality of seastars in bays and such just by getting heavy rainfall. There is no doubt that it causes some metabolic stress.
interesting!

adroitmind

I must say that when reading this post i almost fell out of my seat when i saw you name Golgi. I was listening to Phish at the time and thought that i was having a flashback or something.

larryndana

nope they are not easy to keep, you can not feed them. Fromia's and Linckia's are some of the hardest to keep in the hobby....stear away unless your tank is over one year old, 100+ lr, and very stable water conditions.
ophiura can give a more deffiant age of tank, and amount of rock.