starfish

cldburton

I am in the process of cycling my tank but have promised my little boy a starfish when we get it done with the cycle. I want to find one for a definate beginner that is hardy and isn't going to be a real threat to any fish that we might want to add later.
Any suggestions?

ilove2ride

If you have lots of sand that is full of living things, (basically a pretty deep live sand bed) I would recommend a Sand Sifter star. How big is your tank?
My sand sifter is hardy, and is very interesting the way he burrows into the sand. (he also spends time above the sand, too) Another hardy starfish is the chololate chip... but it is NOT reef safe. It will eat snails, feather dusters, etc.
For any starfish, I would wait a few weeks after your cycle. The ones above are pretty hardy, but if you wanted to add something else (like a linka) they need an established tank.
Good Luck! :D

ophiura

I do not recommend a sand sifter if you are using a functional deep sand bed as part of your filtration. They do eat the beneficial critters in the sand, ruining the efficiency of the sand bed to filter, and can starve to death once they are depleted, at about the 10 month to 1 year mark. Certainly do not keep more than one in this size tank, for best success at keeping it long term. Another drawback is that they tend to stay buried.
Serpent and brittlestars are good choices, except for the green brittle, which can and just might eat small fish. All should be spot fed, and not left to scavenge, regardless of what the LFS says. They should not be put into tanks with large predators, like triggers and puffers...there is a risk that they will be eaten, as these are natural predators.
Chocolate chips, generals, red africans are all tough seastars, but none are reef safe. They should be spot fed with meaty foods.
The reef safe stars including Linckia, Fromia
and relatives should not go in a tank younger than 6 months, at least. They can not be spot fed, and must have a large mature tank with a lot of LR, which they feed on. Best success is with a single specimen. Most tend to die at about the 1 year mark of starvation.
I agree that you should wait quite awhile after cycling the tank before adding a seastar of any kind. They are very sensitive to any fluctuations in water parameters, so the tank must be very stable. Specific gravity should be 1.025-1.026, stable pH, etc.
Acclimation is very very important, and should be 4+ hours minimum, for best success. A drip method is easiest. Many stars die within a week of introduction, from acclimation stress. The most delicate are reef safe stars, and the bright red serpent star.

ocellaris_keeper

Sir,
Please don't tell your son your tank has cycled and is ready for a star fish for about three months. The last thing you want to do is put in this animal only to have your son watch it perish.
I have two green Brittles, One Red, one Tiger, and one I can't remeber what it's called and they are doing great.
BUT - I tried to add one in my tank early (after cycled for a month) and the guy died within two days.
Please be patient.

radioactive

I have a general starfish and it is fun to watch . It moves around the tank all day and stays very active . It usually stay on the front of my 75g and when I feed my tangs it lets go and drops to get food.... jmo ... good luck

terrence

I have 3 starfish in my 75 gal tank. The Brittle and Serpant stay hidden in the rocks most of the time, however the Chocolate Chip stays on the glass all the time. This would allow your son to see it whenevr he wants and you can also watch it eat by placing a freeze dried krill under one leg. I'm sure you AND your son will enjoy this.......good luck!!!!! PS......I didn't add them until my tank had been cycled for several months.