Stars and stripes puffer...anyone have one?

marillion

I'm thinking of adding one to my 110 gallon...can anyone tell me about this fish? All I can find are pictures of it, and no information...
Thanks in advance.
Peace,
Chip

goldfish

can be prone to ick...They are usually pretty compatible with most fish. They "puff up" when they get pi**ed off, so it will show who is king of the tank!

pufferlover

Stars and Stripes Puffer is a great looking fish when small and even moreso when larger. They can get to a foot long but it takes a few years to doso. A 110 would be good for life for that fish. For lots of info on Puffers check out our Puffer club by clicking on my profile and it will show you the link. Now in regards to the other post all Puffers are prone to Ick but yet most do not get it unless mishandled badly. Stars and Stripes are more Dogface realted then say a Porcupine Puffer and I have found that Dogs get Ick much less then Porks do. Currently I have 5 Puffers including a baby stars and stripes and altho it is currently in a 20 with just a spanish hogfish baby for company it has acclimated nicely. In my case I love to buy baby fish and grow them up into adults so my chances for disease are a little higher then going with adult fish. I have found that if you watch what you put them with and you feed them well they seem to have no major problems, and yet when they get sick it can be very hard to cure them in time. Over the years I have found some tricks for Puffers and they are explained in detail at the club site in messages.

pufferlover

I can relate to what trey is saying. My BIG Dogface has been a mellow fish for the last 2 years and even would rub against my hand as I cleaned its tank. In the last month tho he has bit me twice and now when my hand is in the tank I have to keep a close eye on it. On the other hand my 2 Porks have never even come near me while I work on their tank and I suspect because their tank is a 120 gallons versus the 58 the Dog has to live in for now. They are fish with a personality and it is hard to get mad except when they are attached to your computer typing finger.

pufferlover

As I always say any Puffer is great to have they have personality that will not quit. It is one of the few fish that seem to know and relate to the one who feeds them. My 2 BIG Porks have a habit of turning their backs to people who come to see them. They will swim to the back and face there until I come to the tank then they come forward and swim in front of me up and down. Some think I have trained them (not really) whereas the BIG Dogface will swim in front for strangers as well as for me (but I am the only one he will bite lol).