Stars and stripes puffer, cloudy eyes

dynee12

I'm in the middle of a hypo now after using stop parasite for 5 days. My puffer is doing much better. I leave the salitity at the low level for 3 weeks right? It's at 1.05 I noticed a while back his eyes were cloudy. How do I fix that? I guess it's a bacteria problem right. I thought he was going to die. He didn't eat for like 4 days. Now he's eating and swimming around alot more than he has in the past week or so, which makes me happy. The ich is about all gone. I purchased some erythromycin gel tek. It says 5 drops per fish. He's the only fish in my 75 g tank. Can someone please tell me how to use this product? If I can fix the bacteria problem I think He will survive.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure the salinity or specific gravity? The specific gravity should be at 1.009. What you have is way too low.
The treatment is for 3 weeks after you no longer see white spots (using a magnifying glass to look the fish over).
The cloudy eye is a symptom of ich. that should clear up. If the eyes get puffy, the its an infection.

dynee12

Im using a hydrometer, I know thats not the best tool to use but thats all I have. I'll raise the sality up. He is doing much better thanks to this forum and help from you. Please if I'm doing anything wrong please let me know

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, if you are using the plastic swing arm hydrometer, you need to stop using that immediately. This will not work for hypo and it may be dangerous. If you can't get a refractometer, then go with the glass floating hydrometer.

dynee12

Ok, Thank you so much. I will go to the lfs and pick one up. Are the plastic swing arm hydrometer's junk I take it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Inaccurate enough to be not good for even routine measurement of specific gravity.