Started Vodka Dosing today

trouble93

Well here we go...I started my Vodka dosing today. I am using Grey Goose Vodka 80 proof 40% alc by vol. Nothing but the best, but the type doesn't matter. I wanted to start this post with a few pics but my camera acts like it doesn't want to be part of this. I will get some up very soon.
The set up:
75gal mostly SPS a few LPS and a few Leathers. 2x 400watt Metal Halide with 20k XM bulbs 2x28watt T5's and one 48" 54watt 460NM Actinic. Light cycle Actinic come on 1pm T5's come on at 2pm MH on at 3 T5 out at 5pm MH out at 10pm Actinic out at 11:30pm. 700gph hang on over flow Maga flow 3 sump. 20gal fuge with Macro and Mangroves. Phosban reactor did have De*Nitrate in it but will replace with Carbon. 3 Moded Maxi-jet 1200 and a Mag 7 return pump for 7000gph over all flow.Protein Skimmer MSO BHF300F (hob)
Water perimeters:
Temp 80.1
Salinity1.026
PH 8.3
NO3(Nitrate)20+ppm
PO4(phosphate).5ppm
Cal.480
Alk.12.2
Mag.1450
Dosing: I dose 22ml of 2 part B-Ionic everyday for Cal. & Alk.
Starting dose of Vodka is .3ml for the first 3 days. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. I had to take Net Water Volume dosing 1ml per 25gal of aquarium Volume. Did not count water Volume for sump,fuge,and reactor.
Reason for Vodka dosing:
As you can see my nitrates and phosphates or high for a stonie tank IMO for any reef tank I put 20+ because at times my NO3's go as high as 40ppm. There are 7 fish in this tank(high bio load) I feed different types of food. This leads to discoloration in the coral. SPS are sensitive to high NO3's. I had a little hair algae but my CUC and sailfin tang has taken care of that. I have tried many different way to lower my Nitrates in the past. Up to this point I had been doing weekly water changes but now I am going to back off a bit so I can watch my perimeters and make sure the dosing is working.
Summary:
I will keep you all up to date as I go along. I hope this help someone who is thinking of going in this direction. And please any comments are welcome.

florida joe

Originally Posted by trouble93
http:///forum/post/3120126
Not much to report yet. headed in to the 3rd day. All levels are still holding the same.
As I am sure your research indicated dosing takes weeks before you start to see a change in levels

24saltydog

I dose my 180g reef tank with Vodka but I use a de-nitrate filter system. The filter is filled with bacteria that uses the Vodka to make a bacterial bloom inside the filter every 4 days. I have had the unit running now for 2 weeks and I have to say my nitrates are less then 5ppm from over 30 and my tank looks like it just had a water change...every day. I have to say I am totally satisfied with my purchase from www.aquaripure.com. I never heard of dosing vodka right into the tank, but if it works it might save you some money.

florida joe

Originally Posted by 24saltydog
http:///forum/post/3132951
I dose my 180g reef tank with Vodka but I use a de-nitrate filter system. The filter is filled with bacteria that uses the Vodka to make a bacterial bloom inside the filter every 4 days. I have had the unit running now for 2 weeks and I have to say my nitrates are less then 5ppm from over 30 and my tank looks like it just had a water change...every day. I have to say I am totally satisfied with my purchase from www.aquaripure.com. I never heard of dosing vodka right into the tank, but if it works it might save you some money.

sorry in all Honestly i am

24saltydog

Are you sorry that the system is working great for me so far, or do you think I don't know that it could take up to 2 months before the de-nitrate unit fully cycles. So far things are working well. Yes you have to keep on top of the filter by adjusting the flow every other day and dose with Vodka or sugar water very 4 days for a reef tank, but all in all things are working great.

florida joe

Originally Posted by 24saltydog
http:///forum/post/3132951

Well I have searched the site you mentioned and cannot find a filter that takes nitrates out of the water can you tell me which one you use. Also as far as you have never heard of people dosing vodka directly into their tank how do you keep the vodka you introduce into your di-nitrate system from entering your DT Why does the bloom only happen every four days

24saltydog

Joe,
I have the large Aquaripure De-nitrate filter system. I guess you think the unit doen't work. Well I would have to tell you that my nitrates have dropped over the last 2 + weeks. The vodka is utilized by the bacteria in the nitrate filter and does not go directly into the tank. The bacterial bloom lasts about 4 days so vodka (carbon sorce) is added to maintain the bacterial bloom. The Aquaripure uses beneficial bacteria to break down invisible organic matter and nitrates completely into Nitrogen gas which then escapes into the atmosphere.

florida joe

Sorry for the late response. I just have a few questions if you don’t mind. Your DiNitrate system to start. Are you talking about a cartridge attached to a RO system (DI)? Or are you talking about a canister with media?
The vodka dosing is where I am really confused. Excuse my limited knowledge on the subject so if your answers are evident I apologies.
Vodka introduction or more correct the introduction of a carbon source stimulates bacteria growth in the water column. These bacteria remove nitrates via assimilatory reduction. The biomass must then be removed. Skimmer or in my case directly from my refug. When we do this we also remove the said bacteria hence the need to continue to dose. I am sure you already know this. Now how do you keep the vodka in your filter as you state???? And again I must ask why does the bloom only last four days? Do you not continue to dose in a prophylactic manner ?

24saltydog

First, the filter looks like two very large water filter units joined together. They are completely closed and filled with some type of bacteria. The unit has a small pump that sits in the return side of my sump and pumps water back to the filter and through the sump again going back to the tank. I feed the vodka (15ml) every four days through an injection port located at the top of the filter head with a siringe. The filter only returns water at 6 drops per second or an ounce per 18 seconds. I do not know if the vodka makes it back into the tank but the water movement through the filter is so slow that I guess most of the vodka remains in the filter for some time. I am no chemist so I do not know why the bacterial bloom only lasts four days. The company claims that having a Large Aquaripure filter system is like doing a 90 gallon water change weekly. So far (2 weeks) my nitrates have dropped to less then 5 ppm. I have 11 fish and a tank full of coral- 9in Vlamingi Tang, 7in Blond Naso, 6in Hippo, 6 in Sailfin, 6in foxface, coral beauty, manderin and a lawnmower. I guess the best part of using this filter is I only have to charge it with a little bit of cheap vodka, no replacement pads, sulfur or refug to run.