Starter Fish ???

shoorty069

I started off with a Percula, a Clarkii, and 2 blue damsels. All except the percula lived for a few months, then we added new fish about 4 months after we started adding more fish and they all caught ich and died. Thanks *****!
<3ryry

troyw806

I started with two damsels just to see if my tank had cycled long enough. Don't tell anyone if you do the same because they seriuosly frown on it. After I added the damsels I added two ocellaris clowns. They later died when my glass heater broke inside my tank and cooked everything in it (very sad.) For the first 6 months or so I wouldn't put any fish over $10-15. This will save you money if you are a new beginner. You won't waste money by buying expensive fish and killing them because your tank takes a crap on you.

jerthunter

I would personally advise against adding Damsels unless you really like them and want to keep them forever. They are very hardy fish and easy to take care of but they can get extremely aggressive and are also extremely fast so even if you want to get rid of them it can be extremely difficult. Clownfish are also extremely hardy fish, you can find tank raised ocellaris clowns fairly easy and they tend to be much more peaceful then damsels plus they just look cooler.
Also some damsels are more aggressive then others, from my experience the domino damsels, and the 3 & 4 striped damsels are they worst when it comes to being aggressive.

smoney

I started with two true perculas. I would start with clown fish first, they are probably something you may want to build your tank around, not damsels(eww...)

shoorty069

And technically, arent clown fish a type of Damsel in some way, i forget how, but theyre in the same family or something...
<3ryry

smoney

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
And technically, arent clown fish a type of Damsel in some way, i forget how, but theyre in the same family or something...
<3ryry
YEah, I think in a compatability kind of a way. Bescause, people have said I cant get blue damsels, because my clownfish would be territorial towards them or something along that.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
I started off with a Percula, a Clarkii, and 2 blue damsels. All except the percula lived for a few months, then we added new fish about 4 months after we started adding more fish and they all caught ich and died. Thanks *****!
<3ryry
Our ***** here is nice!!! It must be something in your tank or you added way too many fish at all once, plus tank size, etc etc...Different issues that would cause you to have problem, don't actually know what happened, but you can't blame everything on *****. All the fish we ever bought from ***** never had ich, only when we bought from the LFS near by that cause all the problem with ich etc. :happyfish

mikeyjer

Another fish you can start out with are the Green Chromis, they're a hardy fish. They're not as bad as the other Damsels. :happyfish