Starter hardware/equipment.

scott v

Hey guys,
I have my FIRST tank. It was given to me along with a basic frame/base. The image is below. I have a few questions and most of them are ones I was not able to find already posted.
The basic questions about filtration, heating, lighting and how to get started. Besides buying
Is there a name for this type of tank?
I was told a Prizm 80 which is a filter/skimmer would work just fine, whats your input?
What type of heater would be needed to heat this tank?
Thanks. Oh and what about lighting. Its going to be a fish only tank for the first 6 months with some live rock and sand.

dzones

Hi and welcome to the board!
First off..
lighting can be pretty much any fluorescent or better. Since you are going with a fish only then that is not an issue. The better lighting would be something you can get later.
I have a prizm skimmer and like it for my 55. it does a nice job but i do have very little life in that tank.
As far as a heater, what gallon or size is the tank? I have heaters here just in case but never have to use them cause the lights keep the water warm enough. experiment a bit but avoid those cheap heaters at wally mart as they seem to have a kind of mesh coating that seems to want to peel off in the water sometimes.
I hope this helps some!
Good luck!!!
Dave
:)

S

slofish

I was told a Prizm 80 which is a filter/skimmer would work just fine, whats your input?[/B]
Prism should do fine, there are a lot of skimmers out there. Are you planning on having a sump in the future. If you are, im not sure if you can set up the prism 80 in a sump. I would suggest getting a skimmer you could either hang on or sump, such as a SeaClone. Of course, there are a lot of brands that make these also.
What type of heater would be needed to heat this tank?
[/B]
Most would suggest about 3-6 watts per gallon depending on the amount of waterflow. About 4-5 is a good # though. Unless you have some pretty good flow in the tank, i would suggest splitting the wattage and getting two separate heaters. Your tank seems pretty long and looks like it would be difficult to heat it evenly with one heater.

squidd

There are LOTS of different ways to set up and run your tank and you will probably find as many different styles as the number of people responding. :)
Your set up can be as Simple or as Complex as you want/can afford.
For Me, my tank(s) and equipment has evolved and grown more complex/simpler as my understanding of the interrelation of Mechanical/chemical/biological filtration needs grew.
For filtration I would suggest starting with a simple, correctly sized, HOT -hang on tank- filter and skimmer...I would stay away from a "combo" unit ...( kind of like the old combo stereo/tape player/record player/amp units--if one breaks or you want to up grade the whole thing becomes useless).
Suggestion: Emperor 400 biowheel, and Turboflotor Skimmer...A decent Skimmer you can grow with and as your LR/LS natural filtration matures...or you switch to a sump/refugium system you can loose the Emperor and no big deal.
For lighting a fish only or FOWLR (fish only with live rock) :
A standard two strip florescent is suffiecent...ther are many shades/colors to chose from depending on how you want the tank to look...Later after you research Lighting you can up-grade to support the lifeforms you choose.
For Heating: Suggest (also) 5 watts per gallon...and split between two heaters opposite sides of tank to even temp out...also if one malfunctions the other will hold the tank at a safe temp.
Also suggest a couple of Power-heads to increase circulation throughout the tank to improve filtration/oxygen content.
This are very basic equipment "suggestions" and can be improved upon as your experience/needs change.
HTH
:cool:

scott v

FYI Tank Size.
50 Gallon
The above picture is:
48" across
12" high
20" front to back.
With stand, its 50" from floor to top of tank.
I want everything to hang on the back for now...I am renting for a couple years and don't want to take the chance of something going bad and flooding the upstairs of this townhouse.
So thats why my friend suggested the Prizm 80.
Do you know who makes this? I cant find it online anywhere?
Last but not least I am on a tight budget and don't plan on going big bucks until I own my own home, but thats not for a while.
(Im usually the kinda guy that look and looks and looks until I cant stand it because I can never make up my mind. But in the end I also get "the best" even tho I shouldnt spend my money on the best stuff.)

dzones

Do you know who makes this? I cant find it online anywhere?
The Prism line is made by Red Sea. I am n ot sure where to find one. I knew of their skimmers but had no idea they made a combo unit.
Dave

scott v

ok, thanks. My friend that gave me the tank does alot of in office/large home installs and thats what he is using and says they are pretty good. I think its a filter/skimmer combo. I know its at least a skimmer. The skimmer sits on what looks like a base that does filtering. It might be an add on to a normal back hung filter.
I have one other suggestion for a back hung filter but thats it. Whats most popular. I have a flat (12" high) 50 gallon tank. See picture above.
Thanks
Scott Veirs
Northern VA