Startin a new tank?

fatmatt

Well i was going to set up a 55-75gal fish only tank but it seems its best to start small, also found out about this bio cube tanks? Says it comes with everything and you just plug it in, so was wondering if anyone as one and if its any good. If so whats the name of yours, i was lookin at the ones on big als...whats a good size to start off with? Can i use tap water? When do i need to mix the salt. Do i need to buy anything else with the tank other then fish,sand, rocks. Is the lightin good that comes with these tanks?

nudilove

First off, I would get a book on Marine Aquariums, this site offers many good ones! Also, just linger or look up threads about starting tanks, it would be hard to tell you what to do.
Quite honestly bigger is easier, I successfully keep two nanos, one a 6g biocube one a 24 aquapod. I have done nothing but modify these tanks to exactly what I want them to be. I personally prefer the AP because Nanocubes have been known to crack, though Demartini keeps a 14g successfully and I keep a six.
I would definitely go bigger if you have the budget, if not I like the aquapods.

fatmatt

Well i have $400 cash and then another $125 giftcard to LFS...so big tank would be alot, but i have 2 404 fluvas layin around

seattle

START BIG! The smaller the harder *basicly if you want a resonable size lol*Trust me,I started with a 12-gallon Aquapod...BIG MISTAKE! My parents thought bigger 55-150 were diffacult.But trying to not be temped to buy a Butterflyfish,Triggerfish,Tang,Angelfish Is tough...If you want the fun,large,colorfull basic coral reef fish,get a BIG tank...I'm glad I'm getting a 125 It will make me feel WAY more comfortable than a pair of clownies and some Live Rock

larryndana

Don't rush, it will only cause problems. I think you need to read a book like stated....but if the money is burning a hole in your pocket then look into the types of fish you want and the size tank they need. Or just choose a tank. While it is cycling, which a book will explain, you can figure what you want. It will take at least a month once the water is in to cycle your tank, sometimes quicker. It might be better just to sit a read a book before you begin.

larryndana

Originally Posted by Fatmatt
Well...people in the other thread have bin sayin i wont have the money for a bigger tank.
400 plus 125 would buy a nice size tank....will take more to stock and keep the upkeep going.

larryndana

The more i think about it....you need to buy the New Marin Aquarium book...you can buy it on this site and several other places. Its 144 pages....not that long of a book. Then you will have alot of your questions answered. I wish I would have read it before I started.

demartini

Originally Posted by Seattle
START BIG! The smaller the harder *basicly if you want a resonable size lol*Trust me,I started with a 12-gallon Aquapod...BIG MISTAKE! My parents thought bigger 55-150 were diffacult.But trying to not be temped to buy a Butterflyfish,Triggerfish,Tang,Angelfish Is tough...If you want the fun,large,colorfull basic coral reef fish,get a BIG tank...I'm glad I'm getting a 125 It will make me feel WAY more comfortable than a pair of clownies and some Live Rock

I beg to differ!! I have a nano and I have no problem making it a "fun" and "colorful" reef! there are tons of awesome fish that you can get, so "clownies" aren't all you can keep. Plus nanos are really not hard... as long as you research ahead of time you shouldn't have a problem... tooo bad seattle wasn't creative enought to make an awesome little reef...

the amount of money you have to make a tank isn't much and it will be hard to stock a large tank with live rock alone.

fatmatt

Well that is just to start off, im sure once the tank is rdy for more ic an had more things. Put id like to just peice it together over time...ive looked into the book and im orderin it tonight. But im really leaning to a smaller tank because it is less money Rock wise and stocking. And they just seem so cool havin a lil colorful thing. and havin 1 or 2 fish in it. is the book
"Marine Aquarium Handbook" or "New Marin Aquarium book"

demartini

Well i was going to set up a 55-75gal fish only tank but it seems its best to start small, also found out about this bio cube tanks? Says it comes with everything and you just plug it in, so was wondering if anyone as one and if its any good. If so whats the name of yours, i was lookin at the ones on big als...whats a good size to start off with? Can i use tap water? When do i need to mix the salt. Do i need to buy anything else with the tank other then fish,sand, rocks. Is the lightin good that comes with these tanks?
I have the 14g Bio-cube and I love it, but since you wanted to go with a little larger tank I would go with the 29 gallon bio-cube. If your going to mix your own saltwater, be sure to get reverse osmosis water. I found it a lot easier for a nano to buy the salt water pre-made from your local fish store. Be sure to buy test kits, heater, thermometer, and a hydrometer (or a Refractometer if you can afford it). The lights are good enough for most corals, but you wont be able to get any anemones, SPS, or clams. If you would like to get either of these I would go with the 24 aqua pod with the metal halides.

jhebi

IMO, go with the 24 as demartini suggested. I believe that if you go smaller than that it would be a little bit harder and also more maintanence. you can have colors, beautifull fishes on any size as long you know the drill on how to take care of. Books, web sites have many info on how to start and what you need. Smaller will require more water changes, top offs and etc...
First thumb of rule...PATIENCE. And second have a nice tank like Demartini
.....Good luck

azreefgirl

I have the 29 Biocube and really like it. It's my first saltwater tank, and even though it's not a huge tank, I haven't had a problem maintaining correct water parameters. I just do my tests once a week, followed by a 10% water change. And there's plenty of room to do a lot of nice corals. And the corals can be expensive, so it won't cost as much to fill up a nano tank as it would to fill a large tank with corals!

larryndana

the new marine aquarium is the book i suggested. there are several other books you can look into. it was just the first that came to mind. you can find alot of good info on this site as well, try the archives & faqs forum. i really wouldn't settle on a tank size until you know what you want. 24aquapod may do what you want....then again a little bigger like 55 gallon. Don't just get a tank and then put stuff in it. Its like building a house....you don't just go to a lumber yard and get some wood and start nailing away....you must plan. Like what do you want in the home....just like an aquarium.

ser_cyclops

robbert finner has a really good book i read it and read on here for about 2.5 months before i desided i would get a nano tank i have a 24 jbj and i love it its allmost ready for fish its done cycled but just making sure everything is allright.

watson3

Well...people in the other thread have bin sayin i wont have the money for a bigger tank.
You can get used on this site for great prices, or even a new one at a chain store for good price..YOu could easily get a 55-75 setup for 125-150

demartini

Where can you get RO and the other water from?
any super market sells the ro water.