Starting a 10 gallon reef

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2806134
How much did you get it for and is it purple? It looks brown in the pictures.
you should have seen it when i first saw it was in his tank! it was a lot tan/browner its coloring up but yes its purple.

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2806286
Cleaning all those filters on the turtle tank must suck... I just run a good, single canister when I do turtles. Had a Rena XP1 lol on a 75gallon tank with a new guinea snakeneck, while on paper this filter seems crappy at best.. it did a good job. I did 50% weekly water changes and cleaned the filter every month. The spray bar kept current high and detritus from settling. I fed the turtle live food as that's all it would eat so it was packed with mollies, rosy reds, and fiddler crabs lol.
yes i change the media every 25th of the month i do a 50% water change when i change the media. i have a few guppies and glass shrimp but the turtles are still small cant catch them lol its a 30 gal long. once they get a little bigger ill add in more fish for them but for now its pellets and some live plants like water Hyacinth.
i posted a question in the equipment forum but no answer
so ill try and ask here
should i turn my AC20 into a HOB fuge? take out the media and add LS, LR rubble and Cheato? is this a good idea? or should i just forget it?
im about to purchase a 20gal acrylic hex from a local guy for $20.00 with stand lights, heater and filter but its first come first serve
i dont know if i can get it first but if i were able to how would i buff out the acrylic? and should i use this tank for my reef or move my fw into this tank?
ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS or COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

nissan577

get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but idk how to clean acrylic. for my 3g acrylic i use a toothbrush

mckevinfang

so the guy told me he sold it already

but i have a chance to pick up a 20gal glass tonight plus a HOB filter for $15.00 should i do it?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2807484
so the guy told me he sold it already

but i have a chance to pick up a 20gal glass tonight plus a HOB filter for $15.00 should i do it?

That's a steal... hopefully the HOB isn't something crummy though...

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic http:///forum/post/2807516
That's a steal... hopefully the HOB isn't something crummy though...
i just talked to her.
24" long x 12" wide x 17" high (20 gallon tank)
its the exact same one i have for my FW
heres a pic for reference not my tank or the tank im getting
the HOB filter is a tetra whisper filter?
picture for reference only

im picking it up at 7:30am
$15.00 cash
so i guess ill be mixing up some SW tomorrow and pick some up from my LFS how should i go about it?
this is my plan let me know if it sounds good? an please add or edit where you see fit.
STEP 1
1. fill tank up half way with SW
2. add in the heater from the 10 gal 50watt Stealth
3. place 3-4 power heads in the tank 1 back left wall 1 bottom left wall 1 top right front of tank 1 bottom right of tank?
4. Place the 2 Cascade HOB fliters in from 10 gal
5. place the CPR Skimmer in from 10 gal
6. place the LR, inverts and corals into buckets
7. add the LS in from 10 gal
8. Run the tank
9. add the LR, inverts and corals into 20gal
10. add in remainder of SW
I am still using the same lights open top setup.
what do you guys think??

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2807553
i just talked to her.
24" long x 12" wide x 17" high (20 gallon tank)
its the exact same one i have for my FW
heres a pic for reference not my tank or the tank im getting

the HOB filter is a tetra whisper filter?
picture for reference only

im picking it up at 7:30am
$15.00 cash
so i guess ill be mixing up some SW tomorrow and pick some up from my LFS how should i go about it?
this is my plan let me know if it sounds good? an please add or edit where you see fit.
STEP 1
1. fill tank up half way with SW
2. add in the heater from the 10 gal 50watt Stealth
3. place 3-4 power heads in the tank 1 back left wall 1 bottom left wall 1 top right front of tank 1 bottom right of tank?
4. Place the 2 Cascade HOB fliters in from 10 gal
5. place the CPR Skimmer in from 10 gal
6. place the LR, inverts and corals into buckets
7. add the LS in from 10 gal
8. Run the tank
9. add the LR, inverts and corals into 20gal
10. add in remainder of SW
I am still using the same lights open top setup.
what do you guys think??
Wrong order of steps..
Drain the water out of the 10gallon into buckets and put your corals and live rock in them...
scoop sand out of the 10 and put it in the 20. put a plate on the sand... start filling it with water on the plate VERY slowly to try to reduce stirring up the sand.. then put the rock in... wait 30 minutes, but make sure the rock is submerged... (make sure the corals are staying under water with a powerhead in the bucket) Then when its reasonably clear... add the corals, inverts, heater, cascades, Fill the rest up with water! I'd shelve the whisper... they're kinda junk.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2807558
Wrong order of steps..
Drain the water out of the 10gallon into buckets and put your corals and live rock in them...
scoop sand out of the 10 and put it in the 20. put a plate on the sand... start filling it with water on the plate VERY slowly to try to reduce stirring up the sand.. then put the rock in... wait 30 minutes, but make sure the rock is submerged... (make sure the corals are staying under water with a powerhead in the bucket) Then when its reasonably clear... add the corals, inverts, heater, cascades, Fill the rest up with water! I'd shelve the whisper... they're kinda junk.
what kind of plate?
so should i run a PW and the heater in the bucket w/the corals?
should i change the filter media?
i agree whispers are junky ill tuck it away for now.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2807561
what kind of plate?
so should i run a PW and the heater in the bucket w/the corals?
should i change the filter media?
i agree whispers are junky ill tuck it away for now.
A heavy dinner plate!!
You'll be done so fast that the heater isn't really necessary in the bucket...
but put a power head in with them... it isn't as necessary for the rock... you'll be done FAST...
You're filter media should only be the following... carbon, maybe a bag of purigen, and a bag of rowaphos..you can run a mechanical filter too, but you need to be on top of it so it doesn't get disgusting and trap nitrates...Do not run biomedia in the filters, that's what liverock is for.. don't want to trap nitrates and detritus if you can help it.

mckevinfang

so i got the tank !!!!
here are 2 pictures

What do you guys think??

question:
im going to purchase what you prescribed is this normal prices?
E.S.V. Granular Activated Carbon 1lb $11.49
D-D ROWAcarbon 1L Filter Media + Filter Bag $18.99
Seachem Purigen 250mL $11.99
Boyd Chemi-bags - 2/pk 5 in x 11.5 in $2.99
SHIPPING $7.99
TOTAL: $53.45

if you guys know somewhere cheaper let me know PM me the link
ill start working on the tank when i get home from school.

nissan577

get chemipure elite! its better and its a smart move getting purigen! sorry but i think those are really great prices.