starting a 10g reef tank

literati08

Hello Everyone,
I am setting up a 10g reef can anybody give me an advice or comments thanks ..
Lights:
20" Aqualight
Single Linear Strip Light
(28W Total) --- is this enough light for soft corals ?
Filters:
Skilter Filter by marineland
or
Via Aqua Multi-Skimmer w/5watts UV
when i start the cycle can i use Live Sand w/ Regular sand (from pet store) mix
and Live Rocks w/ Lava rocks ???
Thank u

I

ivanfj

Welcome to the board first of all

Your lighting is probably good for softies only, so you are okay there. You might not need a skimmer for a 10g but one never hurts. I would go for the skimmer over the filter if you prefer to get either one of those. If you don't wanna spend the money on a skimmer, then just regular weekly water changes or even more frequent water changes. Yes, you can mix the sand you like, but no, I wouldn't suggest you put lava rocks in your tank. liverocks are the best and perfect choice.

laddy

I would suggest a nice live sand bed (2" or so) and a good stack of live rock, coupled with a small HOB filter for water circulation, and forget the skimmer. Ones those small rarely work efficiently, and they're really not needed subject to your bio load. IMO.

bigarn

Originally posted by Laddy
I would suggest a nice live sand bed (2" or so) and a good stack of live rock, coupled with a small HOB filter for water circulation, and forget the skimmer. Ones those small rarely work efficiently, and they're really not needed subject to your bio load. IMO.

I agree 100%.... Throw in a couple of powerheads, use 1 for surface agitation and you're set. :D