Starting a 37 tall reef

beanie

OK fellas help me out here, U guys are great!!! im planing on a 37 extra tall reef. I have 100lbs of live rock in a 90 gallon. how much live rock should I put in my 37 u think? the more the better I think, my 90 is a agressive tank. eels and a lion fish... well my 37 is going to have a 5in sandbed since i dident do it with my 90 gallon, im going big this time, and ive learned alot since then. Ive heard good things about the H.O.T magnum 350 filter? but I dont like how after a month I gotta clean mine cuss the water pressure starts getting low coming out of the outlet on it, like its not sucking as hard. What kind of lights do u suggest, I'm thinking 2-10k and 2 actinics for around a total of 220 watts. more watts u say??? I would idealy like 1 clam. and I figure since they need ALOT of light if i have enough for mr. clam I have enough for anything else.. I dont want to go MH because they are expensive, I heard they eat up electicity, I have two roommates who complained about my filters raising the bill... And I dont want to get a chiller. So any help would be great. Thanks and hope i didnt write to much...

cboyfan2020

Just get a single 175w or 250w MH light. I just got a 2x250w MH retro(-reflector and lamps) for $155 on ----;) You really need MH for a clam no matter what size tank. You could keep it with PC but it wouldnt be happy:(

beanie

how bad would MH heat up a 37gallon tall... could I just go with out a heater and it would be ok. also whats that do for the electricy bill

fshhub

mh on a 37
2 problems, you are not going to want anymore light(if you can even fit it.
2d, heat, you will probably have the water way to high. at only 8 inches off the surface, you would probably nearly boil the water. a bit of an exaggeration. but I am pretty suree that it would be a big heat problem, whithout a chiller.

beanie

ok scratch the whole wanting clams thing. what kind of lighting would just be good for zoo's and shrooms and anenomes... I dont want to to deal with over heating and chillers..

E

elan

i agree... i have two 175's over 135 gallons and it raised it 2-4 degrees, and thats with the hood off and no top on the tank.
cboyfan2020, you SOB... i was bidding on that ---- lighting set up too.....lol... looked like a great deal. glad it will go to good use.

cboyfan2020

elan, I accidentaly bought it actually. I was trying to see the total price and I clicked buy somehow:rolleyes: Anyways, there was 1 left when I got done. Nobody had bid on it cuz I did "buy it now". Are we talking about the same thing. Mine rhymes with "fool much fighting";)
As a matter of fact there is still one there right now. Total was $190 shipped