Starting a 50gal aggressive FOWLR

nw2salt08

So I have all the main components on their way to my house to get this tank set up to start cycling and I'd love to turn it into an aggressive tank. Wanting some ideas. I definitely have a dwarf fuzzy lionfish on the list. But not sure what else can be put in there to accompany the little guy or gal. Any suggestions?

fishonlyman

Maybe a leaf scorpion, or rogue fish. A really cool looking fish compatible with these fish is a stonefish called the orangebanded stingfish. Lions and scorpions aren't as compatible with other fish as some people want to believe. Maybe if you take the lion fish out of your list, you could replace it with a puffer. They are compatible with more fishes. You could pull this stocklist off:
1* valentini puffer
3* pajama cardinal
1* longnose hawkfish
1* orchid dottyback

nw2salt08

I'm not interested in a lot of fish in this tank any way. So looking into scorpionfish or stonefish is completely fine with me. It'd be nice to have just a couple key fish. I already have the reef tank with a variety of fish. I couldn't give up the dwarf lion. I've been wanting one since I started this hobby. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

skate020

stone fish will eat fuzzy dwarf lion.
maybe look at this for a stocklist?
1x fuzzy dwarf lion
3x lyetail anthias (1 male, 2 females)
1x leaf fish.
1x maroon clown.
if you did go with a stocklist of something like that. make sure that the maroon goes in last.
there actually very aggresive!

nw2salt08

Yeah. I just researched that. lol So no stonefish. And I have a good bit of experience with Maroon clowns. I have a bonded pair in my reef tank. Don't want any more of those.
I like the idea of the leaf fish and the anthias. I'll research it and see how that would work.

reef_dart21

Here is my opinion:
2 (pair) Acreichthys tomentosus- Bristletail Filefish
2(pair) Amphiprion frenatus- Tomato Clownfish
1 Hawkfish any type (personally i like the subspecies from the family Cirrhitichthys)
1 Dendrochirus brachypterus- Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (if you want but i suggest a pair of leaffish)
then thats all, I tend to believe pairs show more personality than single (with an exception of a hawkfish) your choice though

edit* anthais are iffy because they tend to like very large group (125 gal more) because a small group (just like chromis) a hierarchy system takes place and they kill each other.

nw2salt08

I'm looking at the sailfin scorpionfish. Anyone have any experience with these guys? I love the look of them. Are they generally hardy and do they get along with dwarf lions? I know the compatibility charts say yes but has anyone ever paired them in a tank and had any outcomes with them that they could share?

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3197852
I'm looking at the sailfin scorpionfish. Anyone have any experience with these guys? I love the look of them. Are they generally hardy and do they get along with dwarf lions? I know the compatibility charts say yes but has anyone ever paired them in a tank and had any outcomes with them that they could share?
Never had one but did alot of research and scorpionfish tend to be species only, may i suggest leaffish? they are very out going, peaceful, and poisonus

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3197860
Gotcha. I'll look into the leaffish. Any particular recommendations?
I was going to get a pair of these myself until i found out they would not be compatable with my tank (at all my small fish)
Taenianotus triacanthus - I liked the gold frilly look