Starting a 55 gal coral tank

jt41484

I just inherited a 55 gallon tank with iron stand light heater and filter was originally freshwater but i want to turn it into a reef / coral tank with lots of inverts and some comunity fish was wondering if i could get a colony of copeopods going in it and also what is recommended for fish in a reef/coral tank also what kinda inverts i can have also. an advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanx for any advice

jt41484

one other thing can i run a 10 or 20 gallon sump for filtration as i can cycle it with my 125s filters or should i stick with power heads

wangotango

Go with the largest sump you can fit, and put your heater, skimmer, and anything else in there.
Other equipment has a lot to do with what all you intend on keeping. If you want to keep more light demanding corals, then you will want either ho-T5 or metal halide lighting.
Copepods usually start "growing" on their own, but if you run a refugium you can help to boost their population.
Good community fish include blennies, gobies, wrasse, and clowns. Each has a lot of variety.
-Justin

jt41484

Would it be better to get the 55 drilled? trying to keep as close to wall as possible since i have a dog that loves to watch all my tanks

wangotango

You don't have to get it drilled you can buy an overflow box, but drilled tanks are more reliable IMO.
-Justin

jt41484

one other thing i was wondering on is what shuold i get for substate? shpuld i put the eggcrate stuff in first to make it more stable? also what should i use for a cover on the top glass or that eggcrate stuff again? would 6 t5's be enough lighting to grow anything in there? if so which is the best retrofit out there?