Starting a 75 Gallon soon - Got questions

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions#post_3423675
Im interested in hearing the pro's thoughts on this... especially since my tank is still in the planning stages as well.
If you place the skimmer after the refugium, then it will remove benefical organisms out of the water column, like copepods. It's better to split the setup then suck equally from both sides by having them cascade into a center section. It's also possible to get away with running the skimmer section then the fuge, then the return. The first method mentioned above I think is the best way to do it as if needed you can place ball valves on the refugium side and slow it down without dialing back the pumps.
It's all personal preference. I have set up as two seperate tanks, 50 gallons each, then plumbed into a T and then into a external pump. Allows me complete control to shut down a side completely, so 6 months I shut down the sump to clean it all out and the tank itself doesn't have to stop functioning while its happening. If you want pictures of it I can try to upload them later.

snakeblitz33

+1 for Xcali
I don't like the split overflow, I prefer for it to be dumped in the skimmer chamber, then move to the refugium, then move to the return pump. It gives enough room for microbubbles to float up and pop.

xcali1985

This is a picture of one side of my set up. The other side is an exact mirror. Your looking at the sump side as it has a built in probe holder for the Apex. I love this design because if I want to I can cap the inside of the overflow stand pipes on one side and drain the skimmer section and clean it up and turn it back on. Same with the other side. In the meantime all I have to do is dial back the pump for a little while, so I can work.

snakeblitz33

For a big sump, a split overflow is fine. I'm talking for 20g longs, lol! 55g sumps you could do that too... lol.

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJeep http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions#post_3424060
[list type=decimal]
[*]
How do I make and store 75 gallons of ro water if I will probably never need that amount again in the future?
[/list type=decimal]

I like to keep lots of RO/DI water on hand for things like water changes, mixing kalkwasser and top off water. So I got this 75 Gallon holding tank from plastic-mart.com. I use an auto shutoff kit so the tank refills itself when I use some of the water.

snakeblitz33

Wow, thanks for the link man! I was looking at buying a couple plastic containers myself. Hah, I didn't know I could get em' online. I was looking at pickle barrels and brute trash cans, but I like the lid design on that one. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions/20#post_3426376
If you place the skimmer after the refugium, then it will remove benefical organisms out of the water column, like copepods. It's better to split the setup then suck equally from both sides by having them cascade into a center section. It's also possible to get away with running the skimmer section then the fuge, then the return. The first method mentioned above I think is the best way to do it as if needed you can place ball valves on the refugium side and slow it down without dialing back the pumps.
It's all personal preference. I have set up as two seperate tanks, 50 gallons each, then plumbed into a T and then into a external pump. Allows me complete control to shut down a side completely, so 6 months I shut down the sump to clean it all out and the tank itself doesn't have to stop functioning while its happening. If you want pictures of it I can try to upload them later.
The pic would really help. Thanks

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions/20#post_3426565
Hah, well, I guess after looking at some of the prices, I'm still going with a $10, 55g pickle barrel. lol
Yeah. They are a tad expensive. It looks like they are now offering free shipping on some of their tanks. That's cool because I think I paid around $100 shipping on mine. A freaking roadway 18 wheeler pulled up on my front yard to drop it off.
It is a bit of an investment, but for the price of a cheap skimmer, I have 80 gallons of RO/DI water on hand. It came with a pre-installed bulkhead and a screw-on lid with a spring loaded air valve. I think it was money well spent.

snakeblitz33

Interesting. I opt for a 22g rubbermaid tote. lol
I had two 200g plastic drums at one time - sold em'. Now I wish I didn't.
Once I get my 500g, I'll probably get another couple of large plastic drums for my garage, but it's not in the works as of this moment. Thanks for the website though, I'll keep it in mind for my future plans. :D

tur4k

No problem. I can understand saving some cash by buying some rubbermaid. I use a lot of RO water and I have cats. So for me it makes sense to have this setup.

jayjeep

Update:
Received my RO/DI unit yesterday and have it 80% set up. I also bought a pondmaster 950 newish (guy bought it new but never used it). I should be finishing the stand this weekend once I figure out what to coat the inside with. I am also buying a used Euro Reef 180 skimmer today after work.
Things to do:
-Build Sump out of 37 gallon tank.
-Plumb filter system
-Get rock (mix of dry and live rock)
-Get sand
-Start Cycle
Am I missing anything?
[list type=decimal]
[*]
somebody has dry rock for sale locally for $2/lb, how much dry should I get and how much live rock should I add to that?
Same question for sand, how much base sand to live sand do I use?
[/list type=decimal]

jayjeep

Got the skimmer and put it in the sump tank....its a little big but I might be able to make it work. I think I will have to change my plan to a skimmer, refug., then return idea. My sump is a 37 gallon aquarium which is only 30" long (i think).
How do I slow the flow through the refugium? Do I just have a "T" on the return to recirculate flow back to the refugium with a ball valve?

jayjeep

I have another question about powerheads. Would 2 1400 gph koralias be too much flow for my 75 gallon tank?
The reason I ask is I found a good deal from a local seller on 2 used powerheads.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJeep http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions/20#post_3427672
Update:
Am I missing anything? You got the jist of it.
[list type=decimal]
[*]
somebody has dry rock for sale locally for $2/lb, how much dry should I get and how much live rock should I add to that? I recommend no more than 50% base rock, and putting it in the tank first to give the live rock a solid foundation to sit on.
Same question for sand, how much base sand to live sand do I use? With the powerheads you chose, I suggest going with a pretty course sand.
[/list type=decimal]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJeep http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions/20#post_3428000
Got the skimmer and put it in the sump tank....its a little big but I might be able to make it work. I think I will have to change my plan to a skimmer, refug., then return idea. My sump is a 37 gallon aquarium which is only 30" long (i think).
How do I slow the flow through the refugium? Do I just have a "T" on the return to recirculate flow back to the refugium with a ball valve?
This all depends on your sump design and plumbing situation. If you could post a diagram of your design, I could help you better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJeep
http:///t/388280/starting-a-75-gallon-soon-got-questions/20#post_3431674
I have another question about powerheads. Would 2 1400 gph koralias be too much flow for my 75 gallon tank?
The reason I ask is I found a good deal from a local seller on 2 used powerheads.
That is a lot of flow, usually the more the better. You should go with a coarser grade sand to keep it from getting kicked around so much. With that much flow in a 75g, you may consider going barebottom!

jayjeep

Thanks for the response. I think I will pass on those powerheads and get something with a little less flow.

jayjeep

I'm wondering what would be recommended as far as powerheads for a 75 gallon tank. Would 2 or 3 850 gph Koralias work good?
I also finished the stand but need to move it down stairs.

The center piece is removable just in case I change my sump. I'm picking up a 30 gallon long for the sump and refugium. The front piece of the top frame is a 2x6 and the rest is 2x4. More than strong enough for the 75 gallon.

travelerjp98

I like that stand a lot.
As for the powerheads, start with 2.... I think that should be enough.... and if not, add a third one.