starting a dwarf seahorse tank

jst2sweet4u

I am recievibg 16 dwarf seahorses for my 10 gallon tank... the tank has been cycling for over 3 months and all of the water tests are within the normal ranges... i need help on what else to put inside of the tank... right now i have a few plants and some dead rock with cruched coral substrate... can anyone help me or send pics of what their tanks look like so i may get some ideas? any helpwill be very much apperciated... thank you!

zeke92

ehh, i know people don't like to hear "change your substrate" but i always read to have a very fine and soft substrate for seahorses because there skin can get scratched and stuff. but i could be wrong, read it like a year ago.

I have a black substrate in my tank that is course and my ponies are fine. Ive never heard that Zeke. Any idea where u saw it? I would like to see
TIA

zeke92

i don't remember, i think a couple places. just cause there skin is easily broken it said fine sand and no shark objects i think.

hmmmm never heard of that nor have I ever had any issues with my ponies getting hurt or anything
I would like to see it if u come across it again

fireangel

Hello,
I have my Dwarf Seahorses in a 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium.
Other things in the tank:
*carribsea live sand/mineral mud mixed for substrate
*2 lbs liverock (dead then recycled in my reef)
*2 sponge filters
*50watt heater
*dead sea fans
Live items also in the tank:
*tiny hermit crabs
*asst snails
*2 glass anemone shrimp
*pair of pipefish (will go in reef when larger and replaced with dwarf pipefish)
*feather duster worms
*yellow and purple whip gorgonia
*ricordia
*zoanthids
*red tree sponges
*shaving brushes
*caulerpa
*ulva
*cheato
*tons of amphipods, copepods and isopods (rollypolly/pill bug looking things)
Here are a couple of pics. The baby breeder isn't normally in there. I have a bunch of babies right now. I raise the fry in there till they are 2 weeks then the breeder is taken out.

veronicad

Hey, jst2sweet4u, where are you getting your dwarves from? Are they CB? If you can't say on here, you can PM me....
Thanks
BTW, fireangel, your tank is amazing!! It looks much bigger than a 6 gal.....
I've been looking at LFS for dead seafan, and so far no luck.
Anyway, nice setup!!

Have a good day, everyone!

kanicky

That is an absolutely beautiful tank!
Wow, congrats!!

Where did you get the dead sea fans, if you don't mind my asking?

fireangel

Yup, 6.6gal. It looks larger because it is longer and everything in there is pretty small. Thanks for the comments.
Sorry I won't be much help acquiring seafans.
One I bought a few years ago at my LFS and the other is a really old gorgonia from my reef.
I have seen some black seafans on E**Y. Where ever you get them from, make sure that they are untreated. Seafans sold for decor are usually treated to preserve them.

zeke92

Originally Posted by fireangel
http:///forum/post/2569106
Hello,
I have my Dwarf Seahorses in a 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium.
Other things in the tank:
*carribsea live sand/mineral mud mixed for substrate
*2 lbs liverock (dead then recycled in my reef)
*2 sponge filters
*50watt heater
*dead sea fans
Live items also in the tank:
*tiny hermit crabs
*asst snails
*2 glass anemone shrimp
*pair of pipefish (will go in reef when larger and replaced with dwarf pipefish)
*feather duster worms
*yellow and purple whip gorgonia
*ricordia
*zoanthids
*red tree sponges
*shaving brushes
*caulerpa
*ulva
*cheato
*tons of amphipods, copepods and isopods (rollypolly/pill bug looking things)
Here are a couple of pics. The baby breeder isn't normally in there. I have a bunch of babies right now. I raise the fry in there till they are 2 weeks then the breeder is taken out.
wow i really like that tank. lots of hitching spots o.o

santiago

i have always heard that u should use black sand that is thick so the seahorses can see what they are chasing after and the thinner finer the substrate the easier it is for the seahorse to get it in its body and die, but u know they are in the wild with fine substrate and they do just fine, that is just what i have heard.