Starting a Nano tank!

saltwaternoobie

what exactly is macralgae? will it take over my tank walls? what does it look like.... sorry if this is a stupid question lol and i will definitely research the amount of iodine i will need for the volume of water, unless someone here has any ideas! thanks for all the help travelerjp98

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427336
what exactly is macralgae? will it take over my tank walls? what does it look like.... sorry if this is a stupid question lol and i will definitely research the amount of iodine i will need for the volume of water, unless someone here has any ideas! thanks for all the help travelerjp98
Yep, no problem.
Well, these are not my pics, but...
Chaeto, or chaetomorpha shown here, is the most common species of macro algae mostly grown in refugiums... I have it in mine...it grows in clumps like this:

Not my sump, but this is what it looks like inside a sump:

Once again, not my refugium, but a refugium with chaeto:

Then, there is sea lettuce (ulva sp.), also kept in refuigums mostly like chaeto

Those, imo, are the most common macros kept in refugiums.
Here are the more decorative ones that I thought might of looked cool in your tank
Dragon's Breath:

Codium:

Shaving brush:

Halimeda:

I mean there are TONS of varieties out there.... macro algae is just a classification of a certain group of algae... with many different species

saltwaternoobie

Wow! thank you for posting all of those! some of those are amazing will they grow to a point where they are dominating? do they need special lighting? you have no idea how much i appreciate the help

saltwaternoobie

vie read that the shaving brushes are good for the overall chemistry of the tank so i imagine i will get some of those! do i need special lighting? and will they fit in this tank? vie also been reading that an iodine supplement isn't completely necessary... what are your thoughts?

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427344
Wow! thank you for posting all of those! some of those are amazing will they grow to a point where they are dominating? do they need special lighting? you have no idea how much i appreciate the help
Yep, no problem with the help. I am having just as much fun doing this as you are; well, OK, maybe a lil' less but still I enjoy doing this; nanos interest me lol.
Macro algae usually doesn't get to be dominating. It sure never does for me. The lighting doesn't have to be as bright as the light that the corals need; but yes they do need "special" lighting to a degree.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427402
vie read that the shaving brushes are good for the overall chemistry of the tank so i imagine i will get some of those! do i need special lighting? and will they fit in this tank? vie also been reading that an iodine supplement isn't completely necessary... what are your thoughts?
Sorry if you already stated this but what are the dimensions of the tank?
idk about the iodine; someone else will have to come here to give their thoughts.

saltwaternoobie

alright sounds good i will definitely be getting some algae then. im on a website that has the owners manual for the 8 gallon biocube and on the SITE it says the dimensions are 13x14.6x12.4 inches opposed to the owners MANUAL download which says 12.5x13x15 inches... i imagine the dimensions written on the site are including the packaging? i hope so considering the absolute perfect spot for my tank has a depth of 15 inches...

saltwaternoobie

also i went into my LFS today its a big al's and has lots of merchandise and livestock, this was the first time i've seen sexy shrimp and they are very cool looking and extremely small haha im wondering if i could also keep a small fish in the tank? i've been told a single ocellaris clownfish would be alright but im thinking this may be to small of a tank for one to live its life in. what about a small goby? would this be aggressive towards the shrimp? would this have big affect on the bio load?

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427453
alright sounds good i will definitely be getting some algae then. im on a website that has the owners manual for the 8 gallon biocube and on the SITE it says the dimensions are 13x14.6x12.4 inches opposed to the owners MANUAL download which says 12.5x13x15 inches... i imagine the dimensions written on the site are including the packaging? i hope so considering the absolute perfect spot for my tank has a depth of 15 inches...
Where is that spot?
The tank is bigger in dimensions than I thought it would be; the macro would fit just fine.

saltwaternoobie

far from windows and far from vents, plus it'll look great there haha do you think the dimensions from the site are the tank in the box?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427436
Yep, no problem with the help. I am having just as much fun doing this as you are; well, OK, maybe a lil' less but still I enjoy doing this; nanos interest me lol.
Macro algae usually doesn't get to be dominating. It sure never does for me. The lighting doesn't have to be as bright as the light that the corals need; but yes they do need "special" lighting to a degree.
You can probably buy a cheap T5HO refugium light. They are small enough that it would let your macroalgae grow, and light your tank. You could probably also keep a couple of soft corals alive and well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427437
Sorry if you already stated this but what are the dimensions of the tank?
idk about the iodine; someone else will have to come here to give their thoughts.
It's not necessary to dose Iodine, strontium and molybdium with adequate water changes. In fact, I doubt that those trace elements do much, if anything. The most significant chemicals to keep track of are calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. In such a small tank, you'll also have to worry about pH and temperature fluctuations a lot more than anything. Do small one gallon water changes once a week or two gallon water changes once a month and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie
http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427460
also i went into my LFS today its a big al's and has lots of merchandise and livestock, this was the first time i've seen sexy shrimp and they are very cool looking and extremely small haha im wondering if i could also keep a small fish in the tank? i've been told a single ocellaris clownfish would be alright but im thinking this may be to small of a tank for one to live its life in. what about a small goby? would this be aggressive towards the shrimp? would this have big affect on the bio load?
Sexy shrimp are awesome. You can have as many as you want. One false percula clownfish would be just fine. A neon goby would also be good, and so would a green banded goby. By all means, stay away from catalina gobys, they require cooler then average temps.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427464
far from windows and far from vents, plus it'll look great there haha do you think the dimensions from the site are the tank in the box?
Both the directions seem off too me... they both equal 10.6 gallons; are you sure that the tank is 8 gallons?
Hmmmm... I wonder what the issue is???
I know that you already have the spot for the tank, but here is my tip: MAKE SURE THAT IT IS A SPOT WHERE A LOTTA PEOPLE SEE IT!
I definitely like showing my tank off when people come over... people always ask about it...

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427473
You can probably buy a cheap T5HO refugium light. They are small enough that it would let your macroalgae grow, and light your tank. You could probably also keep a couple of soft corals alive and well.
It's not necessary to dose Iodine, strontium and molybdium with adequate water changes. In fact, I doubt that those trace elements do much, if anything. The most significant chemicals to keep track of are calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. In such a small tank, you'll also have to worry about pH and temperature fluctuations a lot more than anything. Do small one gallon water changes once a week or two gallon water changes once a month and you should be fine.
Sexy shrimp are awesome. You can have as many as you want
. One false percula clownfish would be just fine. A neon goby would also be good, and so would a green banded goby. By all means, stay away from catalina gobys, they require cooler then average temps.
Hey snake; I see you havin' fun correcting me already!!! Haha just teasing you!
But, I can't believe I'm doing this, I have to disagree with the statement I made bold... "as many as you want".... it's an 8 gallon tank!
swnoobie: I think that the tank would be awesome with some decorative macro, some shrimp, and a fish that snake recommended...

snakeblitz33

Ok, let me see, you really can have as many as you want in that tank, but who would want to put 20+ sexy shrimp in one tank?

saltwaternoobie

all good stuff thank you guys! so for the main chemicals of calcium magnesium and alkalinity will i have to buy products to add or lower these things or will it be balanced with frequent water changes? i have the link for the info on the tank if you want to check it out.. it might be that the dimensions are including the hood of the tank aswell as it is kind of a thick top... im not sure if the lighting in the biocube can be replaced very easily but i was will research the lighting that comes with the system even more.. heres the link im looking at for the tank..
(please do not post links to competitor sites...MEOW)
i am considering having about 8 sexy shrimp unless i can comfortably have more..... and possibly a clownfish but i will definitely look into the gobies aswell... and if the lighting is sufficient or if i can upgrade it then i will definitely look in to some soft corals...
and your right i will rethink where my placement so my guests can also enjoy it opposed to being in my room where i will be the only one enjoying it!

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427546
all good stuff thank you guys! so for the main chemicals of calcium magnesium and alkalinity will i have to buy products to add or lower these things or will it be balanced with frequent water changes? i have the link for the info on the tank if you want to check it out.. it might be that the dimensions are including the hood of the tank aswell as it is kind of a thick top... im not sure if the lighting in the biocube can be replaced very easily but i was will research the lighting that comes with the system even more.. heres the link im looking at for the tank..
i am considering having about 8 sexy shrimp unless i can comfortably have more..... and possibly a clownfish but i will definitely look into the gobies aswell... and if the lighting is sufficient or if i can upgrade it then i will definitely look in to some soft corals...
and your right i will rethink where my placement so my guests can also enjoy it opposed to being in my room where i will be the only one enjoying it!
Water Changes should be sufficient to replace all of those nutrients, chemicals, etc.
8 sexy shrimp should be fine.... same with a clown or goby...
Looking at the lighting on that tank, I think that it should be fine for macro.... IMO

saltwaternoobie

woah my bad on posting that link i was thinking that might be an issue... anyways im sure it is 8 gallons but i will look into the possibility of upgrading lighting now if i can i should get these T5HO? will these be powerful enough to affect temperatures? I'm also wondering if i need a chilling fan... it never gets that hot in my house. also i am planning on getting a single powerhead that is meant for biocubes should i? i just want some nice small corals and also am wondering what a good anemone would be as i've read that the sexy shrimp will most likely host it..

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaternoobie http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427565
woah my bad on posting that link i was thinking that might be an issue... anyways im sure it is 8 gallons but i will look into the possibility of upgrading lighting now if i can i should get these T5HO? will these be powerful enough to affect temperatures? I'm also wondering if i need a chilling fan... it never gets that hot in my house. also i am planning on getting a single powerhead that is meant for biocubes should i? i just want some nice small corals and also am wondering what a good anemone would be as i've read that the sexy shrimp will most likely host it..
OH YES.... I forgot: you need a power head, sorry...
The anemone hosts the shrimp, not the other way around.
You'll need fans for the lights if it gets hot :)....
You'll only be able to get an anemone 6 months after you set up the tank...
and even then idk about it... slow down for now...

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388541/starting-a-nano-tank/20#post_3427551
Water Changes should be sufficient to replace all of those nutrients, chemicals, etc.
8 sexy shrimp should be fine.... same with a clown or goby...
Looking at the lighting on that tank, I think that it should be fine for macro.... IMO
Nutrients is what we need to remove from our tanks (Nitrate and Phosphate)
If you solely rely on water changes, buy a decent quality salt. Tropic Marin, Seachem Reef, Aqua Vitro, all good salts. They have the extra calcium and alkalinity and trace elements a reef tank needs to thrive.