Starting a new reef tank

woodymdt

Good afternoon,
I'm back to the forums after a long absence. A little back history:
We started our reef experience with a 40g tank that we had going well for a number of months. We were given a 55g tank by friends and decided to move all the 40g stuff to the 55g tank. That started a downhill spin that we could not recover from.
That was about a year or so ago, and we've decided to start again with the 40g tank since we had some success with that before. Parameters are;
40g standard glass tank, not drilled
2x96w Current lighting system; bulbs will be replaced before we get going
titanium heater
Emporer 400 filter system
plan on adding at least two 1200 maxi powerheads.
The tank will be a DSB/LR/LS tank with possibly a few soft corals, mushrooms, plants, etc. intertabrates, and a fish or three. Perhaps a pair of clowns, a goby, and maybe a blenny...that's to be determined later.
Thought I would get back on the forums and start reading up, and get some tips on possible additional equipment and ideas from you experienced folks. It will take us a couple weeks to get the 40g tank emptied (it's been a FW tank for about a year now) and ready to setup the reef tank.
We also have a 20g and 10g tanks that are currently empty. I was hoping we could get some suggestions on possibly turning on of those into a sump tank/refugium?? Where we are planning on putting the 40g tank in the living room will back up to the laundry room on the other side of the wall, so might be a nice spot for the sump/refugium?
Anyway, just wanted to get back on here, read up on what ideas and tips we can pick up on, and look forward to setting this tank up in the next few weeks.
Michael

gatorwpb

Welcome back.

Switching out that filter for a fuge will really help keep your system stable. You can get a hob overflow down to a 20g sump fuge w/ skimmer, cheato, dsb, rubble, heater, etc. all in it, your water quality will be excellent.
For powerheads, check out the kydor koralia.
Good luck!