Starting a new tank..

tnt0401

I just got a new 55gal tank, and now have the fun and expense of set up. I have been looking at live sand, very expensive, can i use playground sand, or just take a drive , less then an hour to the coast and get some sand from there? remember it would be the Oregon coast. Questions comments?
Thank you
Todd

pbnj

I wouldn't risk using sand from the beach.
I'm pretty sure I've read of people using Home-Depot/Lowes sand. Not sure, but you'll probably find a useful thread if you do a forum search.

tnt0401

I seen a thread once about playground sand I just can't find it now. Not sure if I was dreaming or just??????

sickboy

I think the playground sand would be better than the sea sand. You could easily get something in your tank that you would regret later.
btw, the I love the oregon coast

E

eric b 125

welcome to the boards! this hobby can be a little financially intimidating at first. after a while, i think we all find excuses to spend the dough that we do. there is a sand you can use from the depot or lowes, but i can't remember what kind. it has something to do with silicates in the sand. you could always use aragonite, which is a good bit cheaper than live sand. once you put the LR in the tank, it will seed the sand and it will eventually become live sand. another way to cut cost on set up is to supplement your LR with base rock, which will also get seeded by the LR and will become live after some time. get as much LR as possible, though.

bizzmoneyb

i believe i read that you want argonite sand, NOT silicate based sand.
not positive though. im sure someone else will enlighten us.

naclh2o nut

IMO set it up with sand from your LFS. Just buy the bag, not the LS, just sand. Yes it will cost more then the lowes sand.

But once the tank is up and running- Do you want to regret that little bit of savings now that you have cyno/diat, etc.. overtaking your tank and you spend how much time and money getting it right.
Wait you get past that then start to add corals but they don't do well then start dying. Could it be the $20 you saved on sand?
I am saying this because I have been there. I left this hobby for those reasons. I was sure that I could buck the system and make my tank work by cutting just little corners.

Well, It does not work!!!!!!!!!

I have started back and doing everything the best that I can. So far so Good!